NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Coma / Virgo galaxy clusters.

cotterless45

Using the chart in the March S@N mag, I produced a challenging list to see what was possible with a 200 Newt from the edge of town. From the 121 galaxies, I managed to see 75 to the stage that they could be described at x120.

I was very surprised at the sheer volume packed into this area.

I put a 15 mm SW Panorama and centred it on the brightest Messiers ,which were buzzed by swarms of fainter galaxies. Ones worth seeking out were,

NGC4450,NGC4283, NGC4419, NGC4216, IC3392, NGC4459, NGC4651, NGC4486a,NGC4429,

NGC4442, NGC4647, NGC4638 and a bright NGC4526.

I was lucky to get these as they moved to the South from the batio.The real gems are the Messiers M85,M98,M100, M99, M88, M86, M91, a bright M84,M87, M90, M89, M58, M59, M60 and M49.

Plenty to keep busy with, even from the edge of town with

clear skies, Nick.

Nick

Nice one. Because there are so many there, I've never managed to note exactly which ones I've seen in that area! When its clear and transparent it's a bit disorientating, in a good sense!

Barry

Nick a good report and its useful to record the DSOs that were seen on the forum so that you can refer back. I always plan my observing session by writing the DSOs on a white marker board and then tick them off and add notes when seen. Trouble with the Coma/Virgo area you need a bigger board.

Mark

Best part of the sky!

I went to bed before these were at their best last night and have barely scratched the surface with Virgo in particular: I think my galaxy count for the constellation is at 23 (less than Ursa Major with 27).

Leo (22), Coma (21) and Canes Venatici (18) are all up there too.

Even for my aperture, you can almost galaxy hop rather than star hop (especially around Mankarian's chain).

Thanks for sharing!

Archived