Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

garden viewing not always a waste of time

As it looked like it would stay clear for an hour or two i decided i would have an hour or two in the garden despite local light pollution.Now ive been one to not bother with the garden for a while now as ive become hooked on driving hours to dark sites twice a month but after tonight im glad i gave it a bash.

1 and a half hourse resulted in the below haul:

NGC 1980(seen before but not logged)

NGC 1981(seen before but not logged)

NGC 2232 o/c in Monocerus(new)

Beta Monocerus-triple star(new)

NGC 2392-Eskimo/Clown Face nebula(new-looked like a fuzzy ball)

M65,M66,M81,M82,M95,M96,M105,NGC 3384 seen all these before but only from a dark site.tried to find the leo galaxies in my old 200p and couldnt see anything but in the 300p they showed faint but i could make them out.partly this will be from seeing them before but a mag -10 galaxy from the garden is good going.also saw the second leo trio about the triplet but couldnt tell which was which so will leave for dark sites later in the week.

NGC 3242-The Ghost of Jupiter-new not much detail but stood out well as a bright fuzzy blue ball.

All in all a great night and so glad i bothered now,and an extra 4 ticked of the herschel 400 list :).Roll on some autumn garden clusters

Well done, that's a pretty good list for an hour and a half! The way I figure it, it will always be better at a dark site but just getting out is always good, and my 8” dob lets me have views from my garden like I would get from a dark sky with my ST80. Your 12" must be something to look through, even through the lp :)

I went to a really dark site a month back and its rediculous how many galaxies are visible!

+1

I was completely gobsmacked by the sheer number of galaxies visible around the Leo/Virgo/CB/UM from a dark site. Also, ones that from your back yard and are visible leap out at you from a dark site. Leo Triplet and M81/M82 really show details

Some gardens or yards can be a bit restrictive in terms of your limited 'window on the sky' in relationship to where you are actually able to set up your scope. That said they are convenient and a reasonable amount of observing can be achieved in many circumstances.

Perhaps an advantage in keeping to a few familiar and viable targets (and waiting for them to appear in your sky window)is a tendency to perhaps spend more time observing each one, than if visitng a dark site with a broad agenda full of new stuff. So observing planets and brighter open clusters, can be excellent, as can some brighter globulars and some binaries, plus the moon of course. Certain Planetary nebula and galaxies are worthy and within grasp as well. It is possible on transparent evenings to pick out M1 and some other more challenging subjects, by applying averted vision.

Good dark adapted eyes and maybe a dew shield to detract some stray light assist in this.

Even from a city, living near to some green space might help a bit to in shielidng some light pollution. allotments, parks, green nature corridors etc. I live near an area protected from development called the Town Moor and Dene, which filters onto allotments and parks /sports fields so it is fairly acceptable really.

I love viewing from my backyard. It's no dark site but when most sessions are cut short due to weather, it's very handy. Of course I like dark skies better but the convenience isn't there. I can come home from work and be set up before tea if I fancy.

Archived