new finder scope

A right-angle, correct image (RACI) finder is so much better than the standard ones. I have a home-made 16x70 and it is great for precision star-hopping. 9x50 is a real step up from most standard finder scopes. A telrad is useful as well, but they only allow star-hopping using naked eye stars, which is a real drawback in even moderate LP. A 9x50 finder shows much fainter stars to home in on the target (many Messiers are visible in a 9x50 finder, and the majority can be seen with my 16x70).

I don't know about more powerful, but this is the usual upgrade:

http://www.firstligh...inderscope.html

Takes the neck ache out of finding your objects, but it's out of stock atm!

Cheers

I have a Stellarvue RACI, with an illuminated reticle, which I like a lot - if FLO don´t have one a RACI there are plenty of others who will. have it in stock.

Just ordered a telrad to help with finding objects... Think my next upgrade will be a RACI, if I can get the money!

I recently bought a Telrad and was rather taken aback at what a huge plasticky lump it is! I cannot fit it onto my Stellarvue 102ED, the clamshell doesn´t leave enough room. So it is still in its box - should have bought a Rigel.

not sure youd find more power (i.e magnification) would benefit you greatly. id have thought x9mag with 50mm aperture would be ideal for locating an area of the sky. more mag would mean smaller area on show , if you get me . your finder should get you within the area required while switching then to a low power eyepiece ( say x35 /40) to close in.

must say though a right angle finder is a good investment, much more comfy to use.

however, theres a raci finder here thats 10x60 . http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16335

The RACI is a good finder, I have the Orion one and the SW one, if they are out of stock at FLO you should easily find another elsewhere.

I have the Orion RACI too, lovely piece of kit and the RACI really does make finding much more comfortable.

Archived