NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sun 1 April 2013 white light

Bizibilder

The clouds finally cleared enough this afternoon to get these pictures of the Sun. A stack of 54/64 taken with a Canon 1100D and ED120APO stopped to 100mm, Baader Solar film. ISO 100, 1/2000sec. Stacked in Registax 5 and processed in PS CS5.

1April2013JPEG.jpg

1April2013AnnotatedJPEG.jpg

1April2013LongampLat.jpg

"Stopped" simply means that the diameter of the Baader film is 100mm rather than the full 120mm aparture of the scope. Thus I am, in effect, using a 100mm diameter scope - though the focal length is the same. So its a "100mm f/9 scope" rather than a 120mm f7.5. The only reason for that particular set-up is that i made my filter holder from a DIY store ventilation pipe fitting that conveniently slips over the dew cap of the scope, inconveniently it is a "step down" reducer which means I can only fit the 100mm filter.

As there is no advantage of using more than about 100mm aparture for the Sun the system suits me fine. (The aparture limit is due to the resolution of the image being governed by the "hot and sunny" atmosphere rather than the limiting resolution of the optics).

Archived