NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Struggling to decide between 2 Hutech filters IDAS LPS P2 or IDAS LPS V4 for CCD imaging???

Hi everyone at SGL!

I'm currently stuck in a dilemma between 2 Hutech filters which are IDAS LPS P2 and IDAS LPS V4, which I'm currently looking for a excellent LP filter so that I can attach my QHY8L CCD and take longer exposures of faint nebulas (Particularly the nebulas which are in the Hydrogen Beta region) But I'm plagued with mild light pollution, as soon as I hit pass the 300 second exposure mark, I'm starting to get a hint of sky glow on my images, which isn't good when you need all the light to get these incredibly faint gases!

Now I've heard that the Hutech filters give good light transmission and avoid adding colour to the images, which my TS CLS 2" filter keeps adding more reddish colour which is annoying!

Now these Hutechs are very expensive filters, but is there anyone who owns these filters and can you to me your experiences with these Hutechs, Now there are 2 variants which the P2 seems to get good results from some customer reviews but the V4 is brand new one and is slightly more expensive Can anyone tell me what's the difference between them??

It's a lot of money to waste, but I want to make sure that I buy the best valued filter I can possible, so that I can increase my exposure times more, However you can't beat a Clear dark sky which then that would be a different story as I would never consider a filter, but unfornately our skies are becoming invaded slowly and slowly with this dreaded light pollution!! :embarrassed:

Tell me about it russellhq! :huh:

I've not had many replies at all! I know there's gotta to be someone who use's a Hutech filter for imaging! I know that they are widely used by many astronomers?? :huh:

If there's anyone who owns one please shout out! These filters are very expensive and I would know from your experinences from these Hutechs, I would not like to waste a lot of money for something which might not work well for me???

Please help????? :huh: :huh: :huh:

In simple terms the P2 is a light pollution filter and the V4 is a very high contrast filter designed to capture Ha, O111 and Hb pass bands with a bit extra may be. I can't say I've seen too many images with the V4.

Dave.

Who am I trying to kid ? I haven't seen any ! I suggest you look at the difference between an Astronomik LP and HC filter to give you an idea.

Thanks Davew! :laugh:

It's more likely the V4 which seems to be the filter I'm looking for! It's more for the Hb I'm more interested in! The V4 is 10 euros more expensive than the P2! I just can't believe that there is no one as used one for their images! Alright I'll dive in the deep end and find out, hope for the best that the V4 works for me! It's a risky gamble but if it works, I'll post a review on SGL to let others know about the V4! :laugh:

Hi Party Marty,

I have a IDAS LPS P2 which I use with my QHY8 Pro. It is certainly better than the Baader Neodymium filter I had before, that did have a red cast.

The P2 is certainly cleaner. Sorry no nothing about the V$.

cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve!

Now there's someone who uses a Hutech filter with the QHY CCD, This looks promising indeed! But I've got in touch with the retailer and they said that I should go for the V4 is a brand new CCD filter from Hutech which provide allows certain light paths through without adding colour to the object being imaged, instead blocking certain wavelengths allows to pass through and providing light pollution protection as well! They said if the filter didn't work out for me, I can always get the filter exchanged for the P2. So let's hope they are right about the V4!

Fingers crossed!

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone at SGL!

I'm currently stuck in a dilemma between 2 Hutech filters which are IDAS LPS P2 and IDAS LPS V4, which I'm currently looking for a excellent LP filter so that I can attach my QHY8L CCD and take longer exposures of faint nebulas (Particularly the nebulas which are in the Hydrogen Beta region) But I'm plagued with mild light pollution, as soon as I hit pass the 300 second exposure mark, I'm starting to get a hint of sky glow on my images, which isn't good when you need all the light to get these incredibly faint gases!

Now I've heard that the Hutech filters give good light transmission and avoid adding colour to the images, which my TS CLS 2" filter keeps adding more reddish colour which is annoying!

Now these Hutechs are very expensive filters, but is there anyone who owns these filters and can you to me your experiences with these Hutechs, Now there are 2 variants which the P2 seems to get good results from some customer reviews but the V4 is brand new one and is slightly more expensive Can anyone tell me what's the difference between them??

It's a lot of money to waste, but I want to make sure that I buy the best valued filter I can possible, so that I can increase my exposure times more, However you can't beat a Clear dark sky which then that would be a different story as I would never consider a filter, but unfornately our skies are becoming invaded slowly and slowly with this dreaded light pollution!! :embarrassed:

Hi,

Before you go splahing out on expensive filters ( I should know ) you had better consider a few points. IDAS P2 is a general purpose light pollution filter, it can cope with most of the street lighting but I find that if you have mixed light source pollution then it is not as effective and introduces some problems of its own, I  also have doubts about how effectively it copes with IR but  it is probably still the best LP filter  available. The V4 is what other manufactureres call UHC-S Booster filter. It has  a severe cut off of the usual bands that correspond to the main emission lines of nebulea, Ha, Hb, Oiii and Sii so can be  called a severe LP filter as nothing else but the emission wavelengths get through. It is of no use for imaging galaxies as these emit full spectrum of light. It is very good for imaging nebulea but with the caveat that your imaging system has to be very fast and your imaging camera very sensitive, otherwise you'd be waiting for a very long while before you get anything decent on your sensor, there is no free lunch here I am afraid. I have all the usual suspects as far as the LP and UHC-S filters are concerned and for me the IDAS P2 is still the most effective and the most pricy.

A.G

• 4 weeks later...

I started using the P2 with an astro modded 600d and have done since september 2012 (my debut in imaging) about 60 sessions. Let me put it this way...I will change scope, camera, reducer or mount...but I won't change my LPS filter the IDAS LPS P2 is simply the best I've ever tried, tested or read about. And then, of course there ar e the hardcore line filters (Ha, OIII,etc) but that's an entirely new ball game.

cheers

paulo Mesquita

Portugal

Hi,

Before you go splahing out on expensive filters ( I should know ) you had better consider a few points. IDAS P2 is a general purpose light pollution filter, it can cope with most of the street lighting but I find that if you have mixed light source pollution then it is not as effective and introduces some problems of its own, I  also have doubts about how effectively it copes with IR but  it is probably still the best LP filter  available. The V4 is what other manufactureres call UHC-S Booster filter. It has  a severe cut off of the usual bands that correspond to the main emission lines of nebulea, Ha, Hb, Oiii and Sii so can be  called a severe LP filter as nothing else but the emission wavelengths get through. It is of no use for imaging galaxies as these emit full spectrum of light. It is very good for imaging nebulea but with the caveat that your imaging system has to be very fast and your imaging camera very sensitive, otherwise you'd be waiting for a very long while before you get anything decent on your sensor, there is no free lunch here I am afraid. I have all the usual suspects as far as the LP and UHC-S filters are concerned and for me the IDAS P2 is still the most effective and the most pricy.

A.G

Hey A.G.

I have the Astronomic Clip-In filter and I now rarely use it as it gives a blue hue to everything which I find very hard to remove in post processing(although does a great job of cutting out polution). By the sounds of it the P2 gives very little colour change - is this your finding?

Cheers

Will

Hey A.G.

I have the Astronomic Clip-In filter and I now rarely use it as it gives a blue hue to everything which I find very hard to remove in post processing(although does a great job of cutting out polution). By the sounds of it the P2 gives very little colour change - is this your finding?

Cheers

Will

Hi,

The P2 on my equipment gives a slight green tinge to the captures but it is easy to remove this, I am led to believe that P2 does not change the colour balance of the image which is something very different to the colour cast. My clip filter like yours produces images with blue tint . What I have found out though is that neither of the two is 100% effective,  they work brilliantly at times and at other times they cause strange gradients all over the place.

A.G

I missed this thread first time round. I've got the P2, it replaced a SW LP I used for ages on my 1000D. What a difference.. well worth it. Now I use it in front of a CCD & FW setup so its permanently in front of all the filters. I've found it helps increase contrast.

• 2 years later...
6 minutes ago, ChrisWSM said:

I know this is some few years on, but I'm interested to know what you guys decided?

I'm currently looking at the IDAS D1, which is the follow-up to the P2.

Regards

Chris

Without re reading through the thread... but from memory..I think the upshot was the D1 is fine for OSC or Mono with just RGB but cuts into Narrow Band. So if its a mono CCD with a full set of filters inc. NB then use the P2's.

On 10/06/2016 at 11:26, Sp@ce_d said:

Without re reading through the thread... but from memory..I think the upshot was the D1 is fine for OSC or Mono with just RGB but cuts into Narrow Band. So if its a mono CCD with a full set of filters inc. NB then use the P2's.

Thanks very much... Sorry to drag up old ground.

Reagrds

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2016 at 11:12, ChrisWSM said:

I know this is some few years on, but I'm interested to know what you guys decided?

I'm currently looking at the IDAS D1, which is the follow-up to the P2.

Regards

Chris

D1 has a more severe cutoff of the IR than P2 but looking at the spectrum analysis it appears to eliminate some way into the Sii emission line too. This is probably why it is thought to reduce the background red glow of the OSC captures. The question is how much Sii emission your target has? Quite a lot of the DSOs are quite weak in the Sii region so it may not be such a big loss.

A.G

Archived