Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crescent mosaic (finally)

long_arms

Finally finished my crescent mosaic today,

Its a 31 pane mosaic of the waxing crescent from February.

I am a bit of a perfectionist and Its really difficult to get an even background on a crescent mosaic but with a lot of fiddling I have done it.

In the process I have had to use levels to cut some data perhaps.

Couldnt upload the full size image to flickr (its 66mb) but here it is:

Waxing Crescent Mosaic

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Im loving this waxing crescent mosaic, excellent work - but need to see it full size on the comp rather than phone.

Whats the prob with imaging saturn in lrgb? I'm still looking for bits to give sufficient in focus for my filter wheel for full lrgb, but hope to get a go with the revelation 5x, cooled ff and ir-pass if we get a good opp over the w/end.

Jake

Just managed to get on the computer to take a proper look and this is awesome at high res, the detail and toning look excellent. What focal length were you capturing at and did you use the IR-PASS filter for this?

I got a 14 panel mosaic on Tuesday evening, a lovely full moon and it was very bright and orange as it rose but there was a fair amount of cloud and the seeing was not great at about 30 degrees elevation. However, it did prove that the firefly was working and incredibly dirty with lots of dust and drying marks on the CMOS. Only processed 5 of the panels and probably won't bother with the rest unless I really get bored. Instead I stripped the firefly/peltier down and cleaned it all last night, so all setup and ready for tonight provided the sky remains clear!

Thanks everyone :)!

I'm very happy how it turned out, it was done with the firefly, IR pass and the skywatcher 2x barlow so f/10.

For some reason flickr has shrunk the image (the tiff is 2 metres wide according to gimp :p ) and I had to upload a compressed version anyway, however you can see it a little better here:

Waxing Crescent Mosaic

I really want to get a waning crescent. The IR pass makes daytime imaging easier however it would still be tricky with my obstructed views. I shall be going for it though!

Dan

Whats the prob with imaging saturn in lrgb?

Jake

Unfortunately it was my first ever attempt at using a filter wheel, filters and rgb imaging and it didnt go well. The red channel was fine (very noisy but fine) the blue and green channels however weren't great at all (and crazy noisy). I think my focus may have been off for the green however and I didn't get anywhere near the amount of frames either. Not a proper test but very frustrating and I fear with an 8 inch scope it may be pushing the firefly a little far. Can't say until I have a proper crack at it though :)

Dan

Dan,

Off topic, but how much gain were you using for the lrgb channels - was this also at f10 or higher?

I shall be having a go tonight if the met delivers on its promise ;)

On phone at present but will check your new flickr upload later on.

Jake

• 2 weeks later...

Archived