Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad Mod

Steep

It's been bugging me that I couldn't use my Telrad comfortably on my 10" Dob and while I was playing around with it the other day I noticed how much wasted space there is at the front end, the battery compartment is huge. So I thought why not just cut it off?

An hour and plenty of hot glue later I came up with this, now a total of 12cm in length having lost 8cm off the end. The external battery pack idea came from images of the Rigel Quickfinder that FLO sell.

telradmod.jpg

And it fits nicely on the scope too! with it's shortened mount.

telradota1.jpg

One happy chappy :)

I believe its original purpose was entirely non-astro related (a gun sight of some sort) so a compact size was not a consideration in the original design. i must admit that the "stumpy" mod could be really useful especially where space is limited.

Gweedo made me laugh! :) and Bizibilder cheers that's the perfect name for it, henceforth "Stumpy" has pride of place at the top of my Dob. Thinking about it a bit more I might make a raised mounting bracket to lift it away from the scope a bit more for even easier sighting.

if your struggling with the telrad , have a look at this , i have one and find it a little better than the telrad, it's shorter , lighter and the dim actually works.. i wasnt sure but took a punt just incase i did buy a flex tube (as it goes i settled for a standard) but it's nice and i'm glad i did.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KSON-Electronic-Reflex-Circular-Finder-Red-Dot-Finder-Scope-/160984609976?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item257b6e34b8

have a look around though i had mine for £23

Archived