NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can someone console me?

So I was happy, the SW 250px Dobsonian was the scope for me. But at the back of my mind, I want an EQ mount, and rightly so. It was the image I had in my head when I imagined being an amateur astronomer.

In the space of a day I've blown weeks of background research (thank you clouds, I blame you) and talked myself into going with my gut and getting one of the few remaining Celestron C10-N GT’s. So...all I really need is for everyone to jump on board and tell me what a great decision I've made and how I will in no way regret it. I think I got a bit lost in the moment to be fair :smiley:

It's only for observation and the setting up is part of the fun right?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan,

I'll be honest, for visual observing only, I'd go for a dobsonian every time. The equatorial mount would need to be driven on the RA axis to deliver the benefit of tracking objects and also I feel, having owned one, that the CG5 mount would be overloaded, even for visual use, with the 10" F/5 optical tube on board. The EQ mount will also put the eyepiece and finder in all sorts of awkward positions whereas the dobsonian mount keeps both in a readily accessible position.

Sorry if this does not chime with your feelings and feel free to do what you like of course. I'm just sharing my experiences of a 10" newtonian on a CG5 mount :smiley:

Ryan,

The EQ mount will also put the eyepiece and finder in all sorts of awkward positions whereas the dobsonian mount keeps both in a readily accessible position.

Sorry if this does not chime with your feelings and feel free to do what you like of course. I'm just sharing my experiences of a 10" newtonian on a CG5 mount :smiley:

Thanks John. Like I say, I was set for a dobsonian. Part of my logic was to think that I'm not always going to ideal conditions for the dob base to be stable. I realise that the mount is at full+ capacity but I'm fairly satisfied that it wont affect my observational orientated sessions overly so. I can just nudge it when it gets away from me. As for the viewing position, being a taller chap, I would have been fine near zenith but getting into the horizon just does seem appealing to me with a dob. I've noticed people have a great time using the straight through view finder on the dobs. And doesnt everyone with an EQ mount have to deal with the weird and wonderful positions you find yourself in? Am I being a bit optimistic still :smiley:

It's up to you Ryan. Having tried it, I'd not do so again. The optics of the Celestron are the same as the Skywatcher 250PX. A 10" scope on an EQ mount is a pretty massive affair wheras a 10" dob has a compact footprint and you just plonk it down, let it cool, then point and look.

Sounds like you may have made your mind up though so don't let me put you off and good luck with whatever you go for :smiley:

I havent owned either a Dob or a Newt but I do have a frac. So I can't compare optics for you but I can give you insight on the EQ mount and the weird angles you sometimes get for viewing and I will have to concur with John. I do get funny angles when I try to view with my frac sometimes and my back starts hurting after a while but thats also because I never extend the legs on my tripod to taller heights. So remember to do that. But one thing that I will oppose John on is that I dont think the C-10 will give as many awkward positions for viewing as a newt can. Reason being is because of the eyepiece location. With a newt you have to turn the whole scope sometimes to get the EP in a better spot but with a frac and the C-10 the EP is much easier to just rotate and not have to move the whole scope. I have just a small ED80 so with larger/longer frac the problem gets bigger and is more of a pain to deal with but I think the C-10 EP location would make it much easier to deal with. Not saying you wont ever be in a bit of an awkward position just that I don't think It will be that bad. But one thing I think you'll find out real fast is that it can be a pain the try and find object manually with an EQ mount and would be much easier with and Alt/Az mount. You'll get better at it with time but it can get frustrating at first. Obviously GoTo will help out with that but it's not always very accurate.

As an EQ owner (200p/EQ5) i'm afraid I have to agree with john. The EQ mount is a must for me starting out in AP (I know the mounts not perfect for AP :rolleyes: but thats not what this thread is about) but after using a 300mm scope on a dob base I'd say for visual only its the only way to go. Its a lot easier to set up, theres no faffing about & you dont have half a dozen bits to lug out & put together, with a widefield lowpower EP on one of these the whole nudging 'problem' IMO isnt really a problem. Its up to you BUT my 200p is at the mounts limit on the EQ5, with a 250mm one gust of wind & you may as well have a sail on the mount.

Steve

C10-N, n for newt.

It is a good scope and will give you good views. It'll be ok to track things manually or otherwise due to its mount but I concur with John that a large newt on an EQ is a headache if you dont have it set up permanently. If you carry the mount out and then carry the OTA out I foresee some fun and games trying to get the dovetail in and secured whilst holding the OTA. It's advisable to have someone help you.

8" newts would be easier and certainly 6" down are a doddle. 10"+ will be an advernture to set up, for sure. As stated though if you do get tired of this you can always knock up a dob base. I believe there is a SW one in Classifieds right now for £50 actually although the OTA would need some customisation to allow it to fit (SW provide screwed on shoulder bearing things with their dobs which yours wouldnt have).

The mount you have could be motorised and used for a smaller ED80 later on and perhaps give some AP potential as well.

So in summary, it's a nice scope for sure but it may test you in ways that a cheaper alternative may not have.

Good choice even if a little large! (well for me anyway!)

Not sure I follow the Dob camp who moan about tracking with the EQ. With a Dob you manhandle it push, nudge etc. Even un-driven EQ is easy to use the slow motion controls single handed. Yes I know it take a little time to set up compared to the plonk-down Dob but well worthwhile.

I have Dob and Newt on EQ. Not used the Dob for over a year and actually hate the clumsiness of it compared to the technical beauty of the EQ

Anyway well consoled and Clear Skies!

Cheers

Jamie

(PS Sorry Dob owners just my point of view :smiley: )

I find a Dob mount much easier to use for visual use than an EQ mount with a Newtonian. I use my 10" Newt on and EQ6 for imaging, but have tried to look through it while up on the EQ and had a fairly difficult time of it. The EP was either too high to reach, or pointing straight at the ground. The big tube is a fair lump to try and turn in the rings as well.

So in essence I'll either love it or hate it? I didn't realise the Dob vs EQ topic was as controversial as it seems :smiley: The idea of 'plonk it down and off you go' is appealing, I'll gladly admit it. But the idea of learning the ropes on a sophisticated piece of engineering has it appeals as well. In a nutshell, I don't have the experience to have made the correct decision for myself. I could have got lucky, but if I don't, £50 dob base, you're mine!

In a long term pursuit such as astronomy, I'm willing to waste a few hours scratching my head if I get out the other side more knowledgeable. I don't mind putting in the hours adjusting the legs and rotating the OTA around either!

So in essence I'll either love it or hate it? I didn't realise the Dob vs EQ topic was as controversial as it seems :smiley: The idea of 'plonk it down and off you go' is appealing, I'll gladly admit it. But the idea of learning the ropes on a sophisticated piece of engineering has it appeals as well. In a nutshell, I don't have the experience to have made the correct decision for myself. I could have got lucky, but if I don't, £50 dob base, you're mine!

In a long term pursuit such as astronomy, I'm willing to waste a few hours scratching my head if I get out the other side more knowledgeable. I don't mind putting in the hours adjusting the legs and rotating the OTA around either!

Good attitude to have :)

I had much the same feeling when I started, so I bought a 6" Newt on an EQ mount. I am sure you will be fine and having the extra aperture will be an extra incentive to make the most of it. As you say, if the EQ doesn't suit long term, a Dob mount doesn't break the bank and you can then think about sticking a camera on the CG5 ;)

I'm in the other camp, much as I like the mucho aperture and ease of operation of my Dob, I miss the sheer accuracy of the EQ GOTO on nights when I just want to see stuff.

Two top EQ tips, that address some of the issues above.

1. Assemble and balance the scope in daylight. Set the dovetail and rings centrally in the puck on the top of the mount. Score a line in the dovetail at the edge of the puck to facilitate finding this point accurately in the dark. Take the time to find the point of balance in RA with both counterweights positioned together. Wrap tape around the counterbalance bar to aid finding this exact point in the dark. Do a similar thing for the tube and the tube rings when balancing I the Dec axis. Ease of EQ setup is all about aiding repeatability.

1a. When assembling for the evening, attach the dovetail and rings securely first and set them horizontal so the rings flip open toward you. You can then just drop the OTA into the bottom rings and flip the open part over the top. It cannot fall out. There is no faffing around, trying to juggle and support the weight of the OTA with one hand, whilst securing the dovetail mounting bolt with the other, because the dovetail is already secure.

2. This one is so obvious, I don't get why people don't do it. When setting up for the night, start with the focuser pointing vertically upward when the scope is in the home position, pointing at Polaris. This will mean that you need to stand on a chair to align accurately, but as you only ever point at Polaris during alignment, this is the only time the focuser will be in this position. The huge benefit is that the worst position the finder can be in for any other location, is horizontal and that can only happen if you're looking due south at the horizon. Doing this I never found a position that couldn't be matched by my ironing chair for comfortable viewing and it never gets as low as my Dob when pointing at a similar declination.

Enjoy.:)

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

Archived