Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

modded video camera

shirva

Aye laugh the pair of youse. ..I'm aging rapidly wae this mod..need to crack on before I get pelters for no doing garden switch round.and find another car.....still work the morra for some peace fae her indoors...Davy

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh ment to say ...done ir lens mod finally got screws out front board. ..trust mine be tightened up Samsung Samson on steriods n build like a brick outhouse. ...

Davy.....

I must have a bad one ...done same as you...ambient temp 17c hot side 24 ...cold 11c.....wifey four doors up is going to find a handful of electronics in her back garden tomorrow when I volley this right over back fence.....Davy

Yes funny enough the ambient temp was 17 Deg here. If it was the Maplin cooling kit that maybe were the problem is I looked at it and the heat sinks were small. That maybe causing the problem. The fan I used was 40 x 40 and the heatsink 2 ins high. Wifey four doors up may not understand what we are trying to solve lol.

regards Carl

Oh ment to say ...done ir lens mod finally got screws out front board. ..trust mine be tightened up Samsung Samson on steriods n build like a brick outhouse. ...

Davy.....

Agreed they are a (removed word) to get out!

When's the build Carl..

When's the build Carl..

Not sure yet Davy still at the experiment stage with this thing. I sure does produce moisture. Another issue is when turned off the ice turns to water in a second.

Looking at ways to get round this. Done some rough and ready cold finger testing and have to say not impressed with the cold transfer. So maybe the way is a fan on the cold side, I'm trying not to add any more weight.

Cheers Carl

Its a cheeky one to work out had thought of extending front casing to give an air gap and allow moisture to drip through opening when switched off...I tried fan on cold side but my Peltier was not cooling as good as yours. ..if mine was as cold I thought of a fan mounted on end of cold finger blowing cold air on to front board. ..Davy

Only thing u can think of is silica packs ....if cold finger is inside ..which we want it to be then it will have moisture/water too...I'm seriously thinking of just going fan route. .cramming outer case with fans at side and the 38x38x38 fan from maplins. .the initial tests I done with dropped frames showed a difference. ..and made a vast improvement. ..do we really need to get it below freezing I ask myself. ..Davy

Checking internet found out 38x38x38 fan got a 10 cfm output and 25x10 about 2.5 cfm...38x38 on top pulling hot air out 25x10 either side pushing cold air in and 40x10 at front board pulling jot air out ....that's my last mod on this...Davy

If someone would like to donate their expensive CCD cam I could take a peek inside to see how they deal with it. I promise to return all the remains when finished lol.

2MK cooled CCDs have sealed windowed enclosure forward of CCD to stop condensation forming on CCD surface - does your mod have this?

Hi Carl...been to maplins. ...bought some more kit...could not get a big enough heatsink off the shelf so bought a bad boy cooler/fan..

Akasa ak786 its massive. .heatsink 80x69x43..fan on top is 70mm 20.92 cfm tested on Peltier oh yes we have ice ice baby cmon...hey hey....ok enough Davy...got pcb board lacquer to seal electronics once built. ..or I will have ...lifted wrong can and got butane...got more heatsink grease and two 30mm fans..build started drilling out sides for 30mm fans...going to fit Peltier and colfinger.. at finger end I'm going to try n fit 40mm fan to blow cold air on front board....Davy.

2MK cooled CCDs have sealed windowed enclosure forward of CCD to stop condensation forming on CCD surface - does your mod have this?

Hi, not just yet still testing the peltier to see what sort of moisture I'm up against.

Cheers Carl

Hi Carl...been to maplins. ...bought some more kit...could not get a big enough heatsink off the shelf so bought a bad boy cooler/fan..

Akasa ak786 its massive. .heatsink 80x69x43..fan on top is 70mm 20.92 cfm tested on Peltier oh yes we have ice ice baby cmon...hey hey....ok enough Davy...got pcb board lacquer to seal electronics once built. ..or I will have ...lifted wrong can and got butane...got more heatsink grease and two 30mm fans..build started drilling out sides for 30mm fans...going to fit Peltier and colfinger.. at finger end I'm going to try n fit 40mm fan to blow cold air on front board....Davy.

Glad to hear it Davy!! Today I ran a test with a small heatsink on the cold side and had no problems getting it cold. I took a picture after 10 mins of the water/ice. This mod will definately require lacquer. It sucks moisture like no ones business!!

post-30085-0-68539600-1370191541_thumb.j

Not mounted the massive heatsink to top casing yet..drill and tap 5mm bolts to it.....the 40mm blower fan on cold finger works well enough. .need to mount top fan before side fans go in...tidied up copper plate on top for Peltier to sit on...happy enough way its going fact I created ice with peltier and large heatsink and fan.may fit another two 40mm fans to sides of latge heatsink colder it runs the better. ...told you we needed radical lol.

Davy

Oops all I could get at maplins. ...thank god its an ally heatsink lol.....think attik have nothing to need worried by..lol...but will it work is the question. ..answer is....I don't know but its been a learning curve....Davy

Archived