Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

modded video camera

shirva

Brought up in a previous post is the noise/amp glow from video cameras

Has anybody modded a video camera with a peltier device or cooling fan to reduce this. If so what was mod and how was pre and post modified results..Davy

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok ..made an offer on a c mount to t mount adapter from USA to compensate extra weight rather thsn use 1.25 nose cone..initial idea is to remove top cover of camera fit it in a project box fit a Peltier inside box cool side to circuit board and powered externally with cooling fan to top lid of project box as heat rises it should remove a lot of heat..will try with a watec 202d just as a start point...anybody want to jump in with ideas feel free...Davy

Update on above.

Estimated weight hopefully same as my canon 400d..510gms

Weight of samsung scb2000 ...310gms

Operating temp of scb2000 -10oC. .50oC

Peltier device to a heatsink will take temp below -10oC so Peltier can't be fitted too close to camera circuit board but will need too be fitted near fan to remove heat from hot side of Peltier .

Items bought from hong kong

12v fan..40 x 40 x10 mm speed 4900 rpm 28db

No weight available

Peltier 12v 60w 6amps

Price on both 4.87 delivered

The dimension of scb2000 is 58 x 52 x 121 so need slightly larger project box

Q1...plastic abs or aluminium. ..

Q2.. fan on rear casing or on top...to counter vibration of fan..camera to have c TO t mount adapter to mount to scope ...

Brought up in a previous post is the noise/amp glow from video cameras

Has anybody modded a video camera with a peltier device or cooling fan to reduce this. If so what was mod and how was pre and post modified results..Davy

A few ideas here on the Cloudy Nights site, was thinking of giving it a go now I have the SCB-4000.

http://www.cloudynig.../fpart/all/vc/1

Going by the link to the cloudy nights link by Steve max127 the chap says makes a big diff on mod he done to the 4000 hope to make it a bit tidier though..info I found stated for every six percent heat reduced if halfs the noise level. .guessing the camera would run at approx fifteen degrees cooling to approx zero will give vast improvement I think .no data to prove yet

Waiting on bits coming only final box selection to make may try and devert heat from heat side of Peltier via heatsink to focusser to heat scope ..will see how initial build goes first...

Cctv lens arrived to day from Hong Kong ..

6.0 - 60 mm f1 6 for 1/3 sensor camera hopefully try tonight and see how it goes ..testing in house...

If it is quite good idea is to fit on scope ring with modded camera build...and capture with dslr and vice versa to cover all the bases.

Ordered a 12v wireless 2.4 ghz av transmitter/ receiver for camera mod...going wireless now folks....what have I started. ..so build is now...a Samsung scb2000 camera that is going to be fitted to a larger project box with a Peltier device aluminium heatsink and a 40x40mm cooling fan. With seperate on off switching the build will now incorporate the wireless tavern transmitter..

Still waiting on parts from America and Hong Kong cheapest I could find on ebay. All in my head just now..idea is pretty straight forward though. Over sized project box , camera controls still from rear , peltier and heatsink hopefully on top with cooling fan, bottom of box drilled to be able to use tripod mount an wireless av transmitter fitted probably externally to side an a switch to control Peltier and fan operation. ....this the idea anyway...when I get parts I can lay it out and size it to project box..looking to mod my sw electric focusser with remote wireless controller for 4x4 winch ,, remote size of car alarm key fob with in and out buttons on it...on ebay from Hong Kong 10 pounds so another cheap mod..so scope can be set up tracking a object and cctv settings done and viewed and recorded from house

C to t mount adapter arrived today , fits a treat....just waiting on Chinese bits n bods to appear ...wireless transmitter/reciever UK sourced so should be in tomorrow or Thursday I hope

Got the project box at maplins and a cooling sink fan module ...the Peltier was Rubbish put it on to check cool side heated up on both sides and popped cheap junk.cut out lid and fitted the cooling module it should cool the coolsink but going to fit a larger fan as well and forgetting about Peltier device now pulling six amps is a big drain on battery when in the field think fans will do a good enough job.a bigger fan from maplins tomorrow and finish off build.

Done build on project box....wasn't happy with it .it looked cheap and tacky..thought out build again in bed and have now completely redone it...using a heatsink and 40 x 40 fan...measured out top camera casing you can fit the fore mentioned parts...drew template to casing and drilled out to size of fan blades and ground edges flat and smooth I drilled fan mounting screw holes fitted fan and ground off excess of screw on underside of casing. .cleaned up casing then epoxy resined the 40 x40 heatsink on place on underside of casing. .epoxy resined around fan base to casing for extra support and wired the fan to camera power on back of camera. ...conclusions..I decided against using peltier device purely on the six amps it uses and battery life a must on field trips ect...project box looked cheap and nasty and sizes were not quite right...second fan blowing into case I decided against I did not want to bring external dust inside camera...the design though mot perfect will draw the rising heat from the circuit board and disperse via the fan...to me finished job neat and tidy and should reduce noise.....only draw back couldn't remove last two screws to remove filter lens.....Davy

Archived