Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

modded video camera

shirva

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waiting on more heat transfer grease being delivered. .epoxy resined the heatsink I've trimmed to fit Peltier cold side ..opened up top casing fan cut out a bit more so Peltier does not touch casing ..used insulation plastic to space hot heatsink from camera casing will epoxy all together and fit to casing when grease arrives. ..can't think what else can be done to cool the coldfinger....git the pcb lacquer to seal boards when it tests ok ...no way Peltier can go inside casing and be cooled..Davy

Yeh my last option with this last mod and test...read all I can and watched all utube video on it...going to epoxy all heatsinks to Peltier once I grease them and build it up n test. .its a shorter coldfinger so in practice it should work..as you said would like to see a dedicated one stripped down to see how it can be done.the whole peltier block will be raised off camera body so its not having to cool it too..if it dosent work i will go with fans alone...40mm behind sensor small fan either side on casing and a large fan on top...might no freeze it but it will run cool..Davy

Bad news when fitted to casing it jumps back ....removed coldfinger and inside casing no big decrease on temp ...all sitting running no bad till fitted then ...won't play ball.

Coldfinger working better without blower fan fitted must be heat from motor driving temp up.

Peltier cooling not possible on standard camera casing tried every combo I can set up as above pictures show it can cool as a stand alone test fitted to casing it just can't cool as a dedicated camera. ...yes that's why they cost big bucks....I have reverted to fan mods again.

40mm fan on top sucking hot air out casing and two 18mm fans mounted on sides at front and a 40mm fan sitting right on front sensor board sucking hot air from board....this was a good result in previous testing ..with the two side fans added and front fan fitted right on board it should be better again. ..need to space side fans when casing fitted it flexes and fans lock up....may buy a back up sammy and go for a full case mod later....will post results for this mod and hopefully someone may come up with a Peltier soloution ..I believe a very large Peltier and bigger casing will solve it....honest .

Good luck fellow modders ....Davy

The problem with this camera is there are too many chips at the ccd. There's one even behind it on the board which makes it hard to cool. I looked at another forum in which someone had removed the ccd board from their ccd and they had direct access to the rear of the chip. The circuit board was cut out in the design and you could see the back of the ccd chip which is a huge advantage.

Still playing with the peltier to see if it can be useful.

Cheers Carl

Having thoughts on getting a canon 1100d can't justify buying a 400 quid astronomy camera. ..if I do I'm going to rehouse the Sammy...bigger Peltier bigger project box fit rear end of Sammy to side or top and work it out from there...Davy

I used the small heatsink as a spacer...looking at other options now. ..rehousing an option I may go with..getting fed up ....weather Keck and no had any use from the camera since I got it...Davy

another idea for you davy, rehouse it in a slightly bigger case, but use the black front section. On the new casing at the front just make a small slot for the cables to come thru and fit the petlier on the inside of the new casing so that the front pcb board with the sensor is isolated from the rest of the camera

post-24363-0-56797600-1370893534_thumb.p

if you can work out the right size for the casing with cables stretched out front and back....you can fit the rear Sammy cover onto the new rear case saving you a lot of trouble

Been looking at ones frpm hk on fleabay..cheaper. ..looking at aly casings..and a couple of Peltier. ..lp at my flat murder..astroshed moved in partners garden as its getting serious make over ..it will give me more south east views once garden done...looks like this mod will be on go a while...going for a canon 1100d and link to lappy for live view on lappy ..thought of a dedicated camera but can't justify cost ...dslr multiple uses...plus it has video too how good ...not Shure....how's everyone else getting on wae there mods...Davy

At the moment i'm saving for a decent mount don't think this AZ goto mount can handle anymore weight on it. don't know which way to go, skywatcher eq5 pro or celestron equivalent

Johnno. ..I use the sw eq3/2 pro synscan. ..I have done away with the handset and use eqtooth with eqmod and run from Cartes de ciel....its brilliant compaired to handset...got your message about dslr...just going to get from currys.

Hi Davy

Just a word of warning about going down the DSLR - you may find that the video is not sensitive enough compared to the Samsung. You should be OK with long exposure photos - but then you are moving into the realms of astrophotography, guiding, periodic error and the rest ;)

Then again it's the experimenting and learning that's half the fun.

You may find yourself going over to the dark side!

Cheers

Paul

Cheers Paul...have a 400d...prob is no live view....I have traveled from dark side already. ..was going to rig live view to laptop for full control. ..didn't think the video on camera would be good...Davy

Archived