NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen 7mm LV Incoming

Naemeth

After only about a week, I've managed to track down a Vixen 7mm LV (discontinued range and discontinued focal length - the current NLV doesn't have a 7mm), it's being posted on Monday by 1st Class, so should arrive on Tuesday with luck :D. Very much looking forward to it, and I'd just like to say thanks to both haitch and NGC 1502 (Ed), who both posted me heads up (haitch was first though). Will be posting some thoughts here initially when it arrives, and in several weeks of use I'll get to writing a review :).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turns out this will make a great all round eyepiece too, it gives ~93x, which is perfect for close-up views of DSOs, and beginning to be a good planetary observing eyepiece, I didn't even think of that before :D.

Look what arrived...

LV_01_zps0413a5d0.jpg

Inside the packet

LV_02_zpsf8d7e15e.jpg

What could this be? A light bulb?

LV_03_zpsadb24fb2.jpg

Giving nothing away

LV_04_zpsa231e801.jpg

Know what it is yet?

LV_05_zpsa4c25be2.jpg

Can you tell what it is now?

LV_06_zps6dbe7d96.jpg

Here it is :)

LV_07_zps9c02eca0.jpg

Not quite in focus, but I like the idea of the shot ;)

LV_08_zps24a3b9a7.jpg

Can't wait to try it out soon :).

Sounds good. I wouldn't necessarily bother with a 40mm, I think 32mm is the maximum that makes sense in 1.25" format if I remember correctly.

I agree. That and an 8mm exit pupil is silly, by anyone's standards. Too much light pollution for even a 30mm to be useful. Although I may get a 32mm TeleVue Plössl for those nights where I go to the observatory in Seething, now it is dark enough there :D.

For the review: I'll be posting some initial thoughts here after first light (may get some chance tomorrow night), but I have a feeling it's going to become my 2nd most used eyepiece (after my 26mm), and so will probably need quite a while to collect all my thoughts for all types of objects (Galaxies, Clusters, Planetary Nebulae, Planets, Lunar, Solar if I get the chance ;)), so it might be a while before a proper review :). I'll be posting a link to the review on here though when it's ready, I don't want to give any recommendations out too early :lol:.

Had a go on the Moon recently (I think it was on the 20th or 21st) at around 12am. Just a quick session really, and I should have left the scope out to cool.

I didn't detect any ghosting on the Moon, the LV was sharp to the edge, and there wasn't any discernible CA on the edges of the Moon, once the scope was cooled the views were sharp all around. Compared to my Meade 26mm (not really a fair test) which had some ghosting on the Moon, I noticed what I think was pincushion distortion (edges were slightly more magnified than the centre), this wasn't there in the LV, but was present and noticeable in the 26mm.

I'll collect my thoughts over the nights' I have observing and eventually post a review :).

Nice to see you have already got some use out of it. The LV7 I had did not suffer from any ghosting that I can remember.

I think Jupiter would be a much better test of this than the Moon, the Moon doesn't quite fit into the FOV, and Jupiter most certainly does, I should be able to tell if it has ghosting issues instantly :).

I had a celestron luminos 10mm for a short time but felt the need to return it to FLO because among other things it suffered terribly with ghosting on jupiter. You could have the planet centre FOV and a ghost would be going parallel to it at twice the speed across the FOV, starting on one side and overtaking it and then beating it to the other side of the field stop.

The eyepieces (15mm incuded) had potential but ultimately the ergonmics of them (not least the lacklustre rubber eyecups which were useless to put it politely) just put me in a position where I wasnt satisfied. Thankfully FLO being an excellent supplier took them back without question and allowed me to reinvest the money elsewhere. They did get an AZ4 sale out of it though, and they'll no doubt take my order for my next scope when it comes so it's all good. Glad astro retailers, and in particular FLO, are good like this.

• 1 month later...

Some observation to report:

Spent most of my hour or so out on Jupiter, seeing wasn't great, and the scope wasn't properly cooled so Jupiter was bouncing around from all the thermal currents. One thing I did notice is to get the most sharpness out of the eyepiece, I found I needed to hover over the eyepiece to have my eye in the right place, if I moved it to the left or right of where it was sharpest, I noticed a bit of lateral colour around Jupiter. For quite a while I stood and watched Jupiter drift out of the field of view, noticing that it's only just before the field stop that Jupiter becomes mushy and loses sharpness, right at the edge (and I mean, the edge), one edge of Jupiter turned blue for some reason.

I noticed ghosting happening on and off, although that may have been due to moisture in the air than anything, and eye position not being quite on.

When the seeing was co-operating, I got some great views of the two main cloud belts, and noticed some slightly finer detail, or at least imagined it was there.

I got a look at M34 too, sky background wasn't quite black, more grey, but it was a nice sight :).

If only I'd have been able to observe Jupiter sooner in the year when it was higher up, the atmosphere may have had a part in reducing sharpness.

Archived