Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet C/2011 L4 (PanSTARRS)

Hobbes

Yeh, got it from just up the road where there is a clear view of the horizon. I was quite surprised to find it quite easily below and slightly right of a beautiful moon nicely lit by earth shine! Can't see it being a naked eye object though...

You're right - the tail seems quite wide, but not very long. Probably because of the twilight

Good for you Hobbes, i'm glad someone has seen it tonight. I had all good intentions of getting out to some high ground this evening but, my other half needed the car, so i was stuck at home with the kids.

I did try to spot it out of our bedroom window but, the houses opposite were in the way.

I have to say thogh that the moon looked amazing tonight. Such a thin cresent and the earthshine was so bright.

D.C

A few of us saw the comet from the top of Holme Moss near Holmfirth tonight through 7x50 bins. We had sight of it below and to the right of the crescent Moon from 7.05pm to 7.27pm finally loosing it as it moved into cloud on the horizon. Holme Moss doesn't have much light pollution and as the sky darkened it was definitely visible with the naked eye, but very faint. The tail also became more visible as the twilight faded. Very pleased with the viewing tonight but I don't think it will brighten that much over the coming days. All being well I will be back up Holme Moss tomorrow night and see if I can get a some images. All the best, Bob :laugh:

Enjoyed a good observing session this evening of Panstarrs, from a lofty vantage point on the Newcastle Town Moor, using my 15x70. More structure in the tail was certainly revealed as the sky darkened

Archived