Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommend me a refractor for imaging.

emadmoussa

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

In other topics members have recommended the Skywatcher 80 ED Apos for DSOs. although im not sure how good they are for planetary work. I guess you could consider the skywatcher evostar 100 ED which should be better on the planets (unreduced?)

I'm just about to take the plunge on an equinox 80 ED. Hope i've made the right choice! Now for that elusive 2nd hand HEQ5.

Hi,

In other topics members have recommended the Skywatcher 80 ED Apos for DSOs. although im not sure how good they are for planetary work. I guess you could consider the skywatcher evostar 100 ED which should be better on the planets (unreduced?)

I'm just about to take the plunge on an equinox 80 ED. Hope i've made the right choice! Now for that elusive 2nd hand HEQ5.

Are you going to use it as a guide scope??

Are you going to use it as a guide scope??

No. It will be my main scope. All my current setup is a few days from leaving me via a well known auction site so I shall be left with just the equinox OTA.

I've seen some fantastic images on here and elsewhere with these 80 Apos.

I'll perhaps use it as a guidescope in the future though.

Thats a great price although slightly misleading if you require the reducer/flattener too.

It's not really misleading. I don't think its necessary if you buy the scope for visual, could be wrong though :)

If you're planing on sticking a DSLR on the back of it, then yes you are going to need a flattener. I believe the skywatcher one works well with this scope and is priced sub £100.

It's a good quality scope at a good price, perfect for getting started in DSO imaging. Have a look here for what others have managed with this scope. http://www.astrobin....r-equinox-80ed/

Those are fantastic images. I wont be guiding so doubt i'll get that kind of image just yet. Can't wait to try though :)

If the OP does decide on an equinox other topics suggest the 60 pound flattener from FLO is sufficient but offers no reduction. However, the scope is at f6.25 already.

If you're planing on sticking a DSLR on the back of it, then yes you are going to need a flattener. I believe the skywatcher one works well with this scope and is priced sub £100.

It's a good quality scope at a good price, perfect for getting started in DSO imaging. Have a look here for what others have managed with this scope. http://www.astrobin....r-equinox-80ed/

Mmm...how does it compare to the 80ED?

I have an APM 80mm triplet, but I would not recommend that for planetary. It can do planetary AP (with suitable barlows (3-4x is ideal with my cameras)), but planetary AP needs aperture, and the 80mm is not big enough. Lunar is OK, with 2.5x powermate and EOS 450D. Even so I would rather use the C8 with 0.63x focal reducer with the EOS for Luna

I heavily lean towards the 80ED, in my inexperienced eyes the image quality seems as good as the Equinox....As for planetary, I'm kinda more interested in DSO.

They will be very similar, the only difference will be when it comes down to controlling halos on blue stars, the equinox will outperform the ED80. But don't get me wrong, they are both very capable and good DSO imaging scopes.

The equinox is essentially the same as my revelation 80m APO (or semi APO as it should properly be called) but with a few more silver bits on, if it's the same as this one:

post-6511-0-55823400-1363099140_thumb.jp

I'm really happy with mine and can I say, if you can find the Revelation ones second hand, you will pay just under £250 for good condition (thats what I got mine for).

The glass at the front is FPL53 and provides very good images of DSOs with little discernible colour problem. I don't use a flattener on mine (perhaps I should) but it seems fine.

I haven't used it for planets as I have a C9.25 for that, so can't comment on this area.

The equinox is essentially the same as my revelation 80m APO (or semi APO as it should properly be called) but with a few more silver bits on, if it's the same as this one:

post-6511-0-55823400-1363099140_thumb.jp

I'm really happy with mine and can I say, if you can find the Revelation ones second hand, you will pay just under £250 for good condition (thats what I got mine for).

The glass at the front is FPL53 and provides very good images of DSOs with little discernible colour problem. I don't use a flattener on mine (perhaps I should) but it seems fine.

I haven't used it for planets as I have a C9.25 for that, so can't comment on this area.

Mmm...it doesn't seem like a very popular buy, which doesn't necessarily mean it's better or worse. I've just looked it a up and I can see that only few sellers have it -- without the rings and dovetail...what kind of accessories does it require to mount it on the NEQ6 and then ST80 on top of it (for guiding)?

Archived