NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

25x100 Bins help appreciated

kidlands

Hi everyone,

Just need a little help choosing a pair of bins in the 25x100 range.

Have been looking at the Strathspeys but they look identical to the Quantum 4's and alike but more expensive...why?

Are the optics better but the body the same?

Budgets upto £350 ish what do you think?

Many thanks

Hi

I would go for the Quantum 4 out of the two they have got a good rep on this site

you also my like to look at the Opticrons they are made in Japan crystal clear lenses I use them on nights out on a tripod

as you have £350.00 to play with

clear skies

crystal clear

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of Zumhell's 25x100's , nitrogen purged and very well made for the price $299 aud .

Be aware that any 100mm binos need a mount as they are HUGE !! and HEAVY !! , but properly mounted give awsome 2 eyed views of the night sky .

I made an adaptor to use my GSO/Astrotec mount on a William optics tripod and dew shield as the lenses are exposed to syray light and ,,, wel , dew .

So much fun on a dark night crusing the southern milky way with these , enjoy what ever you decide to get .

Here are mine , mounted .

Brian.

post-18525-0-95528800-1364107147_thumb.j

With a £350 budget I'd go with a Helios Apollo 22x85.

As Damo says, this, I think, would be the best choice. The 100mm BA3 models will likely be nearer 90mm in reality, where the BA8 85mm, will be 85mm.

You would have a bigger FOV with the 85s and the contrast and colour would be better too.

Having owned models from both ranges I would go for the BA8, there is a perceptible difference.

Whichever, buy from a decent supplier who will sort out any problems.

With a £350 budget I'd go with a Helios Apollo 22x85.

I'd agree with this, I've the 15x85, couldn't get hold of the 22x85, plus I also have some 15x70 Qauntum 4's. The Apollo's are far superior and well worth the additional cost in my view.

Cheers

Neil

Brian

That looks like a very nice set up there. I recently sold my 20x100s as I have 2 other smaller binocs and found I wasn't using them. Mind you, if I had them set up like that maybe I'd still have them

I have a pair of Zumhell's 25x100's , nitrogen purged and very well made for the price $299 aud .

Be aware that any 100mm binos need a mount as they are HUGE !! and HEAVY !! , but properly mounted give awsome 2 eyed views of the night sky .

I made an adaptor to use my GSO/Astrotec mount on a William optics tripod and dew shield as the lenses are exposed to syray light and ,,, wel , dew .

So much fun on a dark night crusing the southern milky way with these , enjoy what ever you decide to get .

Here are mine , mounted .

Brian.

These wooden tripods are just great, dampen down so much quicker that steel and not cold to the touch.

That Astrotec mount looks like a great idea as well.

You probably even get clear skies as well......so you can actually use your gear, unlike us poor creatures who have to make do with dreaming about using it.

Archived