NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

what do you think of this scope?

emadmoussa

Absolutely hopeless.

I have a very similar scope by a different manufacturer. For visual use, it is lovely to look through, but for imaging there is no colour correction and at almost f/10 it is about 4x too slow.

I think that picture is the F5? In which case, multiply the colour correction comment by two!

I there a good reason for an F5 achro frac for pure visual use? As someone looking for a visual scope that is a bit more family-holiday-in-a-car-friendly, than the 300p Dob, I've been looking at achro fracs and can't seem to find a reason to buy one at that focal ratio.

That said, on purely aesthetic grounds, it's a nice looking scope.:)

Russell

Mmm...I can see it's not the way to go for AP. Call me a weirdo, but I do have some weaknesses towards refractors :) So probably, the next step is a SW 80ED...even though I'm not quite sure what difference it'll make in comparison with the 200p reflector - except for the coma of course. Anybody done the comparison in terms of AP before?

It is the F/5 edition (AR127S S for short-tube). At F/5 chromatic aberration is very hard to correct, and this gets worse with higher apertures very quickly. My 70mm F/5 scope is OK on wide field, but not really up to planetary magnifications, unlike the 70mm F/10 we had at school. Hence, I only use it as finder. For wide-field the 127S is OK. On planets, and for travel, I would favour a 6" SCT or Mak: much lighter, much more compact, and get a good pair of bins for wide field to complement them. If size is not an issue, get a 6"F/5 Newt, which will equal this scope on DSOs and perform better on planets. If planets are your thing, you could also go for a 6"F/8, but that can become cumbersome.

I'm after a good compact telescope for AP...so was thinking I might splash it out in the coming 2-3 months and go for the SW ED80...

My 200p is quite bulky for a quick set-up, and would rather use a smaller more compact good quality telescope. Refractors are preferred...(personal preference really...).

OK -

So, assuming I want to get rid of the 200p, and replace it with something smaller and yet good for both visual and AP. Any scope that will fit this category?

I'm actually clearing out some space in the house, and would ideally go for a smaller telescope. Yet, can't imagine a smaller refractor beating the 200p large aperture....a Mak maybe...?

OK -

So, assuming I want to get rid of the 200p, and replace it with something smaller and yet good for both visual and AP. Any scope that will fit this category?

I'm actually clearing out some space in the house, and would ideally go for a smaller telescope. Yet, can't imagine a smaller refractor beating the 200p large aperture....a Mak maybe...?

You are right, an 80mm frac will not come near a 200mm Newt visually.

What you want is difficult to achieve in one scope: for AP (DSO) focal ratio rules, whereas for visual and planetary AP aperture is king. This is why I have an 8" SCT (superb, compact all-round performer in the latter category) and an 80mm F/6 triplet which I hope to use to DSO AP (and is great for wide filed observing). The SCT can be fitted with a focal reducer, but that still leaves me with 1260mm focal length, which is not easy to guide.

What you want is difficult to achieve in one scope: for AP (DSO) focal ratio rules, whereas for visual and planetary AP aperture is king. This is why I have an 8" SCT (superb, compact all-round performer in the latter category) and an 80mm F/6 triplet which I hope to use to DSO AP (and is great for wide filed observing). The SCT can be fitted with a focal reducer, but that still leaves me with 1260mm focal length, which is not easy to guide.

It is indeed puzzling...hence the dilemma of what to do really. I like the idea of the 8" SCT, but for the time being it's beyond my price range. It seems like keeping the 200p and save up for an 80ED...unless some an affordable all-doing telescope comes along.

It is indeed puzzling...hence the dilemma of what to do really. I like the idea of the 8" SCT, but for the time being it's beyond my price range. It seems like keeping the 200p and save up for an 80ED...unless some an affordable all-doing telescope comes along.

That sounds sensible: keep the 200P and add the 80ED. An 8" SCT will not show more than the 200P, the only thing you gain is compact size.

BTW, is the SkyWatcher China-ED not available anymore...? Been looking around...nothing so far.

SKED80_OTA1.jpg

They are still around and have been improved a bit:

http://www.firstligh...ds-pro-ota.html

Same optics though and very good.

I've seen these come up used for under £200. Celestron did a version of the 80mm and 100mm ED's which come up at low cost (for an ED doublet) used quite often as well. The Celestron focusers are not that good but that could be changed in due course. Try a "wanted" advert perhaps ?

I'd definitely keep the 200P for visual though.

Thanks! The original plan was cutting down on size...but now it seems like I'm adding up :D I guess, the 200p could be put aside when not in use. Otherwise, the wife will find it a good chance for complaining. Thanks again!

I have the older version of this scope which is sharp and bright on visual use and is a very quick set up. It is good for clusters and galaxies, is ok with planets but the working magnification limit means that some smaller planetary nebulae are not resolved very well.

It falls down a bit on colour aberration, which with a little management, it is just about tolerable. I have not done any imaging with it but I don't think the Bresser would perform that well with camera attached.

What are you wanting to get pictures of? Match the focal length of the optics to the size of your sensor for the field of view you want to cover. Then go for the fastest focal ratio that will give you field the want.

Archived