Hi All

I'm new my first telescope is on its way. Huge thanks to badger astro and the staff at first light optics for helping me out with advice.

After research and listening to recommendations I settled on http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/celestron-nexstar-127-slt.html

Now I just need a camera of some description to take some pics, clear skies permitting.

anyone got any useful hints and tips of the first thing to do?

Cheers

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - One of the first thigs that would be of use would be to go along to an Astronomy Society, that way you get to know your local amateur atronomers and can go out observing at dark sites with the society. Depending on where you live in Durham the three societies in the area are the Durham Astronomical Society, Cleavlend and Darlington Astronomical Society and the Sunderland Astronomical Society.

Your scope is well suited to travel to dark sites. Happy observing.

Dave

Thanks:) its funny you mention it but I actually looked up and thought its cloudy and going to be tomorrow according to the forecast and I was actually disappointed. It's amazing how little you look up until you're interested.

I hope it comes assembled add I have zero clue about how to set this new scope up :(

Still searching for a camera to astro image...

Hi - One of the first thigs that would be of use would be to go along to an Astronomy Society, that way you get to know your local amateur atronomers and can go out observing at dark sites with the society. Depending on where you live in Durham the three societies in the area are the Durham Astronomical Society, Cleavlend and Darlington Astronomical Society and the Sunderland Astronomical Society.

Your scope is well suited to travel to dark sites. Happy observing.

Dave

I live just outside Durham about 20 minutes away, I would love to go to one but I don't know anyone who attends one, the one in Durham sounds good where's it based?

Hi The meetings at Sunderland are twice a month at the Washington Wildfowl Center on the second and third Sundays of the month.

I'm not sure if there will be a meeting this Sunday as some members will be at Kielder for the Star Camp. However the following Sunday will be a talk. You will also be able to have a look in our observatory and maybe observe if the sky is clear. Also we have regular trips to Derwent Reservoir for dark sky nights. Hope you get a chance to come along.

Dave

Hi The meetings at Sunderland are twice a month at the Washington Wildfowl Center on the second and third Sundays of the month.

I'm not sure if there will be a meeting this Sunday as some members will be at Kielder for the Star Camp. However the following Sunday will be a talk. You will also be able to have a look in our observatory and maybe observe if the sky is clear. Also we have regular trips to Derwent Reservoir for dark sky nights. Hope you get a chance to come along.

Dave

That sounds like a good idea. Washington Wildfowl Center is about 10 minutes away, not far at all. Would it be worth travelling this Sunday or would it be better to wait until next if people are out at Kielder? Derwent Reservoir sounds pretty good, warm clothes to the ready.

Hi I've tried texting some of the guys but no reply, chances are they are up at Kielder already, I will be up Kielder Friday to Sunday so will not be there on Sunday night. If I were you I would wait until Sunday 17th, the meeting is at 7.00pm so about 6.45 would be good to arrive. If thats OK hope to see you there.

Dave

Hi I've tried texting some of the guys but no reply, chances are they are up at Kielder already, I will be up Kielder Friday to Sunday so will not be there on Sunday night. If I were you I would wait until Sunday 17th, the meeting is at 7.00pm so about 6.45 would be good to arrive. If thats OK hope to see you there.

Dave

I'll certainly try and be there, if i can make it i'll just say dave sent me :)

Best advice is read the manual over and over, it's a really nice scope.

Best of luck and Clear Sky's

I've watched a couple of YouTube video's of people assembling them, it appears relatively straightforward. Clear skies indeed, its cloudy at the moment. I still don't have a camera which is disappointing, but i think i need to take the time to make the right choice. The Philips SPC900NC is ridiculously priced.

It's a very nice little scope. You should be able to fit a DSLR directly to the back of it for lunar and (with a filter) solar imaging and if you can get a suitable high frame rate camera (some webcams or a dedicated planetary camera) it should work well for planetary imaging. All of the images here:

http://www.tanstaafl.co.uk/solar-system-images/

were taken with basically the same scope (albeit the Skywatcher version) and DSLR or webcam/dedicated planetary camera. Webcams are popular because they're cheap, but many really aren't that good so do your research first if you're thinking of going that way.

James

It's a very nice little scope. You should be able to fit a DSLR directly to the back of it for lunar and (with a filter) solar imaging and if you can get a suitable high frame rate camera (some webcams or a dedicated planetary camera) it should work well for planetary imaging. All of the images here:

http://www.tanstaafl...-system-images/

were taken with basically the same scope (albeit the Skywatcher version) and DSLR or webcam/dedicated planetary camera. Webcams are popular because they're cheap, but many really aren't that good so do your research first if you're thinking of going that way.

James

Researching its difficult to find one with a could CCD, the atik cameras are incredibly expensive !

Researching its difficult to find one with a could CCD, the atik cameras are incredibly expensive !

If you can find an SPC900 around the £50 to £60 mark I think they're still a worthwhile purchase at that price. There are a number of choices in the £90 to £140 range, but I don't think enough people are posting images here to get a clear idea of how good they are. I have an ASI120MC (as well as my SPC900s), but it's more expensive again and I don't really feel I've got to grips with it yet. lukebl is also using one of the QHY cameras, but off the top of my head I can't recall the model or price. The Atik cameras are not cheap, that's certainly true :(

James

I'm looking at a SPC900 but its £50, given that they hold their price they must be good but I can't help thinking there must be other webcams out there which are better. The SPC is quite old it seems.

As you rightly say this isn't an easy choice to say the least, I was looking at some comparison pics between a good ccd webcam and an atik thing and I can't see the quality to price ratio I'd have anticipated.

I'm looking at a SPC900 but its £50, given that they hold their price they must be good but I can't help thinking there must be other webcams out there which are better. The SPC is quite old it seems.

There are a couple of other models that are basically the same as the SPC900 on the inside, but they're just as old and just as expensive to buy. I have yet to see another webcam that comes close to the SPC900 (and I've tried a few), but that may partially depend on the scope in use. I know Gary Honis has claimed that a modded Lifecam Cinema could be a match for an SPC900 in his 20" dob (though I've not seen images from it that I'm aware of), but in my 127 Mak there's no contest -- the SPC is clearly better.

James

Hi Had text from John Lynch who confirmed the meeting is on for Sunday 10th at Washington Wildfowl 7.00pm.

The members attending will be the ones not at Kielder plus those who come back early.

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the update ill try and attend this Sunday and meet a few people.

My scope has arrived but its cloudy out at the minute which is a tad disappointing - I have however managed to borrow a DSLR Nikon D500 but I'm guessing I need an adapter of some sorts

Archived