NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

5th march a hour with jupiter

Daniel-K

as jupiter was the only thing bright enough to see at 18:20 i though i would spend some time viewing the gas giant and what a great time i had the sky was still blue but darkening by the minute. i started on a 9mm plossl watching her drift through the EP *nudge* and again *nudge* i was watching io getting close to going behind jupiter so i upped the mag to x200 with my 6mm plossl and found the seeing allowed me my best views of Jupiter i have ever had , the GRS was on the left side close to dissapering but was still clearly there but what shocked me was the detail i could see in the SEB i could see hints of whit and swirls i had to sketch it so someone would believe me, then as IO was going behind ganymeade was peeking over the upper left limb WOW a treat. by this time my friend barry had arrived with his William optics super planetary 6mm and a nice blue filter in the scope it went oh wait whats that? a transit a first for me the shadow was so clear the conditions were nearly perfect and then the fog started coming in. i had a great hour or so with the gas giant and very pleased with my 250dob :D i had a brief go with my new 24mm panoptic but the skys didnt allow me to see much but from the view of the double cluster i had im very pleased with it

Dan

post-6284-0-37096500-1362516955_thumb.jp

nice going dan. i found the seb quite detailed the other week when i was observing the io transit. glad you got to do some observing,more than most of late.

clear skies (without the murk!)

I was out looking at Jupiter at the same time and the view was amazing,unbelievable seeing here,i was able to use x353 with out any problem,Ganemede was an actual disk and completely steady,had to tell someone so told the wife but all she heard was blah,blah,blah............. ,any way glad someone saw what i seen.

I liked reading this as I was observing jupiter with my son at exactly the same time as you although with a different scope (180 mak).

The dancing moons, shadow transit, great red spot and swirly SEB left an impression on both of us. Enjoyed that.

Chris.

Great report dan , even tho the skies here have been bad lately it's always great to read other people are out observing and just feeling people's enthusiasm in there reports is always a great read, kev

Well done for getting a session in on Jupiter and nice report. I keep thinking we need to take our opportunities with Jove while we can because the sun will be swinging around in a few months. I don't get bored looking at it!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice report Dan,

Big J never lets you down and an hour at the eyepiece will always bring in some new detail or an event.

I love seeing Saturn and Titan in the sky, but even these cannot compete with Jupiter and its moons wonderful stuff

Mick IOW

Archived