SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Giant looping prom (heads up)

allcart

Just observing the sun at midday, and there is a lot of activity on the limb. Its at the 3 oclock position as you look at it through the ep. There is a major looping prom with anothor large prom beside it. The looping prom looks like it may detatch itself very soon. I just wish I had my DMK so I could show you a picture. Its fantastic to watch

I just tried a quick capture with the spc900 but its not focused too brilliantly. I struggled to see the laptop screen in the sunlight and this was my first try with the spc900 so I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I watched the couple of AVI's I took and you can see the prom, but its not as clear as some folks have shown here. I'll run it through registax later and see what comes out.

The prom did not appear to detatch, but has spread down the limb like a bunch of marching trees.

I'm glad you saw it too Sally, it was a good sight. looks like the sun may be quite active today.

Hi Allan,

By coincidence I have just returned back in from photographing the large prom and surface detail and I am just in the process of the images now, will post later. The prom is in the 7 o'clock position, I think your PST is giving an inversion, as you say it looks like a set of trees.

I caught a full disc, with prom and also a close up of the prom and surface around, but it is a bit hazy here, so I hope they come out okay.

Robin

I was trying out the new Lunt Ls60 for the first time. To be honest, I find a comfortable viewing position but have now idea which way up the sun is when I am looking through the EP. :mad:

The view with the Ls60 was fantastic. I am trying to get something from the AVI I took, but its a bit soft focused. I'll wait to see yours Robin.

Shame you missed it david. I get 3 hours away from work at lunchtime each day, so solar observing is something I can do, whenever the sun shines. I'm off back to work till 10pm now.

Hi Allan,

Oh a Lunt 60, excellent piece of kit, sorry thought you had a PST for some reason. The scope gives a normal view, except that the diagonal gives an inversion. So if the scope is upright with the eyepiece at the top it is a mirrored image in the vertical. If you turned it round by say 45 degrees, then 3 o'clock would become 7 o'clock and so on.

I always use Gong (http://halpha.nso.edu/) to correctly orientate my pictures/views. In fact I use Gong to see what is happening and spotted the prom on there this morning.

Robin

Really enjoyed watching from 14.00 to 15.00 today. My wife commented that the large prom looked like a hedge. Robin,thanks for the link to Gong. That will prove useful for orientating my PST views.

Hi Allan,

Oh a Lunt 60, excellent piece of kit, sorry thought you had a PST for some reason. Robin

I have both now Robin. I bought a PST last weekend to play with until the LS60 arrived. Its strange, but when I have looked at the price of some astro scopes, I thought no way could I spend that much, but then I get the solar bug and go spending mad. I have to say its worth it though.

Wow a PST and a Lunt 60 in the same week. I sold my PST about a month ago after having it and my Lunt with around a 3 month overlap. Now I am thinking of taking my solar scope abroad in the summer and kind of wish I still had the PST, it would fit in my bag much easier than the Lunt.

I agree with you about pricing, for the price of a Lunt 60 you can get a pretty good night time scope ( and mount).

Robin

I got the PST as a modded ED80. I wanted the parts for a bigger project, but it filled the gap nicely until I got the Lunt60. I only ordered the Lunt a week ago with an expected 2-3 weeks delivery time, but it came only a week later. I will dissasemble the ED80 mod and put the PST back to its original state until I start my own PST mod. The views with the Lunt are all I need for now.

Archived