Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing from charts - how???

Hi all, I confess up to now I have very much been a Goto-er when it comes to observing but I was frankly bored of it on my CPC and sold it

In "manual mode" with a Dob say, since the view is upside down and left to right swapped, whats the best way to interpret that from the star atlas? You have to keep translating in your head all the time? That up a bit and to the left on the atlas actually means down and to the right? very confusing when you have to swap patterns of stars around in your head to try and get to the object I'd imagine? I can do this OK with bins but at least they are right way up etc...

Interested in your thoughts and approaches to this please?

You get used to it, all those long hours in the dark with a red light looking up, down and through optics.

At first it seems like a giant puzzle and you're not part of the solution.

Best to take small steps and soon you'll be learning . "Turn left at Orion" is really good, shows you views through a Dob.

Nick.

How about using a right angle correct image finder scope? I think they're invaluable for finding stuff - for me at least lol. :)

Hi Kim., so a RACI inverts the image to "right way up" and also swaps left to right - i.e. a "natural" view? I have actually just bought such a finder! Alas, not yet had chance to use it as yet due to naff weather hence the ignorance !

it's not at all complicated and the left right reversed image of fracs is one of the reasons I don't like them. dobs (newts) are so much easier to follow with a map I think;

using a map the right way up, line up roughly with Telrad/RDF

in the RACI finder see the stars also the right way up.

when you think you have the right place, turn the map upside down and then it will be just like the eyepiece.

when moving the scope, you don't so much follow the object but drag the object back into view. you'll quickly get it.

Archived