Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

max load AZ4

nightfisher

It's described as

Maximum recommended payload: Sky-Watcher D150/F1200 Reflector (Explorer-150PL)

Whatever that weighs.

I have one with a pier extension, and I think I'm pretty much at its feasible limit with a Skywatcher 120/1000 Evostar frac. It's not just the mass, the length has a significant effect as well. At higher mags it is a bit marginal (was using 167x a few nights ago) but fine at lower levels.

I use my ED120 on my AZ-4 from time to time. Thats a 15lb OTA and quite a bit longer than the 150 mak. I reckon you will be fine with the latter.

Not sure about a 150mm F/8 newt though - that might be pushing things a bit because of the lube length rather than the weight.

I use my ED120 on my AZ-4 from time to time. Thats a 15lb OTA and quite a bit longer than the 150 mak. I reckon you will be fine with the latter.

Not sure about a 150mm F/8 newt though - that might be pushing things a bit because of the lube length rather than the weight.

Cheers John, just need to get some astro stuff sold and try to fund a 150 mak

Or another plan might be a SkyTee2, just pop the mount on the AZ-4's tripod?

Twotter, my first though was arrrgg, i dont want another mount, i love the AZ4, but a new plan is hatching......sell the AZ4 complete and get the skytee head, use it on the CG5 tripod, this will take some thinking about........of to research the skytee

That sounds like a cracking plan to me :)

I've got an AZ-4 on the way and that will mount my TAL. In the future I would like a 150 refractor so I'm thinking a SkyTee 2 will do the job then, or some other substantial alt/az option if one comes up. Since I don't know when (or to be honest, if) real life will allow me to get another telescope the SkyTee would be a bit of a luxury right now. So the cheaper AZ-4 makes more sense, and I've also been able to get another eyepiece :)

Btw, you've probably already seen the SkyTee 2 in the classifieds? The one with the ADM clamp? Tempting.... :)

Twotter, my first though was arrrgg, i dont want another mount, i love the AZ4, but a new plan is hatching......sell the AZ4 complete and get the skytee head, use it on the CG5 tripod, this will take some thinking about........of to research the skytee

The Skytee II (and the original Skytee for that matter) fits straight onto a CG5 tripod. As does the AZ-4. The CG5 tripod really does add some solidity to these mounts.

The AZ4 will be fine for the TAL, Twotter. I really like mine, it's a fine thing. I also have a CG5, so at some point I'll do a comparison test betwen the two tripods to see if there's much difference. The AZ4 is pretty rigid though, with 1.75" legs. The CG5 has 2" legs and a more substantial top, so it will be a bit stiffer, but maybe not all that much.

Been mulling this over most of the afternoon, i have an HEQ5 syntrek that i have not used yet, i think its time i got of my rear and started to use this mount, i can see me having a little more time soon as im not spending so much time at my fiance`s place :eek:

I have the az4 and the skytee 2 mount I swap the heads over depending on which scope I am using , the sw200 pds goes on the skytee . and for quick grab n go the ed 80 goes on the az4 , when I really feel like a night of it the skytee 2 takes both the sw200 and my ed102 ikharous it's a great mount .

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to dig this up as I'm always looking for the next scope.. had anyone tried a 190mn on a az4 with steel legs for just visual? using a 150p now and it's no trouble for the mount. I assume a 200p would be to big but thinking if a 190 might just work!

I used my Intes 6" f/6 mak-newtonian on my steel legged AZ-4. To be honest it was not really a good combination though. I think the Skywatcher MN190 would be too much for the AZ-4 as it's heavier than my Intes was.

Cheers John. I had read somewhere that an explorer 150p might push it and Im doing that already. Getting a bigger scope and then having to get a bigger mount tottally defeats the object here as its just grab and go, RFT. just thinking out loud.

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to know there are other AZ4 users out there. Good to know that It happily holds a 120 refractor too. I made a good choice I think for simple visual mounting. One question, now I've had it for a year or so and it's stored in the shed at end of garden (stored too much I might add :embarrassed:) is there anything I should do to maintain it? I've read posts about grease or similar when I was researching the mount - I think - but can't find them.

It lies on its side and is covered in a breathable bike cover.

Tim

Archived