Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISS imaging help

Hello,

I did a topic before about imaging the space station but I thought I would start a new one.

Last night I managed it for the first time, I focussed on Jupiter and adjusted settings on there as well.

I adjusted it until Jupiter was correctly exposed. However the ISS was definitely overexposed.

Its grey as I have just lowered the brightness.

post-26081-0-74703000-1361193802_thumb.p

What I am wondering is, yes I am going to use a shorter shutter speed later, but how would an IR pass affect it? It would certainly improve the exposure, but any side effects from an IR pass on a satellite?

Dan

I don't think IR pass filter will impact other than amount of light hitting the sensor. Be careful with the barlow as your FOV will be much reduced and therefore much harder to keep the ISS on the chip. I've used relatively high gain a touch of gamma and 1/1200 exposures with a DBK21 on my CPC925.

The ISS is fully lit with daylight so to get the correct exposure for DSLR you should be using the sunny 16 rule. F16 @ the reciprical (sp?) of the iso rating so at iso 100 use f16 and 1/100 second. To get the speed up start opening the aperture and ramping the iso up.

so:

1/200, f8 iso 100

1/400, f4 iso 100

1/800, f4 iso 200 etc etc

personally my gut says double the calculated exposure but it will be close. The same rule can be applied to the moon as well. For a CCD I would correctly expose for the moon and go from there

Archived