NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please help to identify my UFO's?

darren5354

Hi all, I'm Darren.

I am a complete novice to Stargazing. I watched the program last year which sparked an interest and I have read a few books since. This year I decided to take a more active role. I purchased a pair of Binoculars at a car boot sale today and pitched up in the garden tonight to have a go. I purchased the Philips Stargazing 2013 book so I had a little direction in what to look for etc. I have to tell you........ I now have the bug!!! lol.

I had a great first experience! I recognised the constellations of Orion, Cassiopeia and I think I vaguely made out Taurus. I had a hard time making out others but I'm confident that they will come with time and practice. I located Jupiter, Betelgeuse, Pleiades and the Orion Nebula! I observed far more throughout the night but had real trouble identifying them. The Binoculars I bought are 20x50 but I am going to buy some 7x50's as the books suggest as it was a nightmare trying to deal with my trembling hands lol! especially in the cold.

The reason for this thread is.............. I spotted 3 moving objects! I know I’m a novice but I do not believe that they were planes etc the first was at 7:03pm moving North to South passing to the left of Betelgeuse and Sirius, moving at a steady pace? The second was at 7:14pm moving from North East to South West at a steady rate? the third was at 8pm moving very fast from East to West and it seemed to be rotating? Were one of these the Space Station? If not, do you have any info on them? Any info at all!?

Please bear in mind that these directions are based on me orientating the star map via the moon and Orion without a compass so if there is something that had a similar trajectory to what I have stated, the chances are its what I saw. I would be deeply grateful for any Info you have as well as tips and advice for my future in Stargazing?

Thank you so so much in advance, Darren

Agreed, a steady light moving at a fair clip but not streak-of-light fast is typically a satellite. If it's very bright, outshining any star or planet it may be the International Space Station. My most memorable satellite sighting was through the binoculars when a pair flew by either side of the Andromeda Galaxy, highlight of the night's observing :-)

The 20x50s might find a niche if you put them on a tripod, if they're good quality they should give very nice lunar views, but I concur for handheld observing you'll want something with lower power.

Thanks guys! Gutted John! Been telling everyone that I spotted the ‘ISS’ on my first stargazing evening!

I've been checking eBay for Bino's & tripod but no luck yet:( Can you buy a universal bracket, to fit Bino's to a tripod? all the tripods I have seen have a screw on the top (same as a camera mount)?

I was itching to get out gazing last night and will be tonight but been struck down with man flu! (Man Flu - recently proved to be a scientific fact lol)

Thank you all so so much for all the Info, maybe one day I'll have the experience to help someone out :))

P.S. Also any tips on a garden set up would be appreciated? I've got a hard metal chair that I'm sitting on and a restricted view of the sky due to buildings, trees etc. What are your creature comforts when gazing? Thanks again!!

Darren.

Archived