Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Zoom Eyepiece

Seen this in the latest edition of the S@N magazine. Spec for spec it does look similar if not identical to the Baader Hyperion Zoom. Although the Baader is considerably cheaper and at certain focal lengths you do get the 68 degree fov. Don't know what the full spec on the Celestron is? If it is supposed to be in direct competition with the Baader then you would have thought they would have priced it at the same amount? There have been a few issues with the reliability of the Hyperion Zoom in the past, but I thought all that had been resolved.

also I doubt you would get 68 degrees out of any click-stop on the Hyperion, I might be wrong.

The Hyperion zoom delivers 68 degrees at the shorter focal lengths, 8mm and 12mm, not sure about the mid range clickstops, and 50 degrees at 24mm. This is an excellent zoom, I use it all the time, and although I amno expert, I can't tell any difference between this and many fixed focal length ep's

Yep, my Hyperion is the most used EP I have. I wish I had bought that before I got a EP kit and saved the money.

You are getting 50° at 24mm according to the specs so that would presumably be 43° on the Celestron.

I am curious though to know how this Celestron differs, is it any better?

Yeah. That's the one, Jarrod. It is a bit more pricey than the Hyperion as well, but without the fov of the Baader. I must admit I am totally sold on the Hyperions now. Nice and chunky with a real solid feel to them. As a bonus I like the modular design, so with the addition of the fine tuning rings you can increase the focal length of the eyepiece for a fraction of the cost. With both ftrs you have 4 different possibilities with one eyepiece.

Yeah. That's the one, Jarrod. It is a bit more pricey than the Hyperion as well, but without the fov of the Baader. I must admit I am totally sold on the Hyperions now. Nice and chunky with a real solid feel to them. As a bonus I like the modular design, so with the addition of the fine tuning rings you can increase the focal length of the eyepiece for a fraction of the cost. With both ftrs you have 4 different possibilities with one eyepiece.

You might want to consider the Hyperion zoom Barlow aswell. More money I know but can be used with other ep's. FLO have a deal at the moment saving on buying the zoom and Barlow together, it's a big saving to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I have various sizes of Hyperions and both ftr's and also my Ultima Barlow, I think I have most bases covered in the eyepiece department. However if I do ever get some spare cash somewhere I may get the Hyperion Zoom as the convenience factor of it is quite appealing. Not having to change eyepieces all the time could be very handy.

Now that I have various sizes of Hyperions and both ftr's and also my Ultima Barlow, I think I have most bases covered in the eyepiece department. However if I do ever get some spare cash somewhere I may get the Hyperion Zoom as the convenience factor of it is quite appealing. Not having to change eyepieces all the time could be very handy.

I might be starting to sound like I work for Baader Planetarium!!!....you're absolutely right. Besides the fact that they are great ep's the convenience value cannot be overstated. Less time fiddling and far more time at the telescope observing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of zoom eyepieces too. I have the WO 7.5-22.5 and absolutely love it. I think its the same model as the Skywatcher Hyperflex 7.5-22.5. Optics are superb and i have a trouble spotting the extra optical quality from my fixed focal length eyepieces, even the Circle T Orthos. Most nights i just use the zoom and leave the rest behind.

Before the WO i had the cheaper Celestron 8-24, a Seben 8-24 and Skywatcher 8-24, all performed identically and to a good standard. Would love to own the Baader but one has never come up cheap enough secondhand.

Supplement it with one of the Hyperion Asperic and a 2" diagonal and you'd be pretty well sorted Malc :) The zoom comes with both a 1.25 and 2" barrel, but I must say the 2" barrel is much more reassuring with its size and weight :eek: If you have dark skies the 36 Aspheric would really open up the sky :cool:

Don't bother with the matching Barlow though unless you're getting a much shorter focal length scope :D

Archived