Best Astro settings for Canon 1100D?

emadmoussa

Have you tried 800 vs 1600? I would have gone with 800 as that's what I'm used to but was told the camera works best at 1600,

the signal to noise ratio is better with this model at the higher end. 

Must admit that I wouldn't have thought so as things used to get grainy the higher you went but that was the old days.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

These USB Cables work just add  a very short cable on the end with the right camera connector, i use ISO 800 and a remote control for when the Laptops got a flat battery or APT on the laptop, practice with liveview you can see down to Mag 8 stars but there half a turn of a 10-1 focuser a banitov mask work quicker and liveview can always be used to check..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-Active-Repeater-Extension-USB2-0/dp/B004S67QR2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1389522076&sr=8-4&keywords=long+usb+cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-TIMER-REMOTE-CONTROL-FOR-CANON-EOS-550D-600D-1100D-/320956698329?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item4aba828ed9

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Does anyone know which setting to use to adjust the aperture on the 1100d when connected to a telescope?

Mine won't seem to let me adjust saying "unable to adjust due to no lens being attached"?

I'm mounting the camera to the telescope using a T-Ring adaptor.

Cheers

Hi,

Does anyone know which setting to use to adjust the aperture on the 1100d when connected to a telescope?

Mine won't seem to let me adjust saying "unable to adjust due to no lens being attached"?

I'm mounting the camera to the telescope using a T-Ring adaptor.

Cheers

You don't need to do adjust the aperture setting..  The exposure is now manually controlled by the shutter speed setting.

Ahh. Thanks for that. Which settings would you recommend for these shots in your opinion?

Deep Space

Planetary

Lunar

Also, any idea how to adjust the brightness when recording video? I recorded Jupiter tracking yesterday but it just appears as a bright white ball with no detail when playing back.

Cheers!!

Here is a picture shot at 1600 iso through a 85mm refractor, forgive my limited processing skills but just to show the noise level at that iso. I'd quite like to see a similar shot at 800.  Looks like I'll get chance to try the Moon this weekend.

post-195-0-96510400-1394186587_thumb.jpg

The aperature is set by the telescpe, the telescope is like a lens but without variable aperature. So divide the focal length of your telescope with the mirror size of your telescope to get the aperature e.g. 650/130 for my Heritage 130p gives f5. A fast scope collects more light in less time then a slow scope.

Ahh. Thanks for that. Which settings would you recommend for these shots in your opinion?

Deep Space

Planetary

Lunar

Also, any idea how to adjust the brightness when recording video? I recorded Jupiter tracking yesterday but it just appears as a bright white ball with no detail when playing back.

Cheers!!

Deep space.........ISO 800 or 400......exposure, as long as your sky brightness and tracking allow.

This can be anywhere between a few seconds to 10s of minutes.

Archived