NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn today, Hooray!

Jupiterholic

I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but its been quite a while since I've done anything thanks to Captain Cloud and Major Rainfall so thought I'd show my face.

Believe me, if you'd seen the dewy, wobbly, light polluted conditions from my back garden at 4am today (15th Feb) combined with Saturn's rubbish elevation, you'd be amazed that I even managed to get something vaguely oval! Meh, its not pretty but its a start to my 2013 Saturn apparition :)

Best 1500 of 11000 frames. Capture time at 6 minutes.

post-9536-0-83364400-1360916978_thumb.jp

Very nice, good colour, Cassini division showing nicely. Well done.

You know, this year I think the strong blue colour at the pole is very interesting. Thats where the hexagonal storm is and it's already showing up well. My embarrassment in posting was kind of in comparison to Kokatha Man's absolutely stunning images of Saturn posted a couple of days ago. Though over in the southern hemisphere they have the elevation and seeing in their favour right now. What I wouldn't give for a few clear nights in the southern hemisphere with a C14......

You know, this year I think the strong blue colour at the pole is very interesting. Thats where the hexagonal storm is and it's already showing up well. My embarrassment in posting was kind of in comparison to Kokatha Man's absolutely stunning images of Saturn posted a couple of days ago. Though over in the southern hemisphere they have the elevation and seeing in their favour right now. What I wouldn't give for a few clear nights in the southern hemisphere with a C14......

Every C8 owner dreams of a C14 ;)

superb image, I need to get my *** out of bed early to try and catch this, or stay up late :D either way its too far down to view from my house so I need to carry the setup a few hundred meters... will be chuffed if I get an image like that! :D

Hi Jupiterholic,

Nothing wrong with that image, well worth the effort and very credible result.

I'd like a C14 too - might have to form a club for impoverished, aperture shy and normally cloud bound astronomers - maybe someone will take pity and lend us some bigger kit ;)

Well done! Some detail there for sure. Yep the Aussies have prime beef while we fight for horse meat but I'm sure we will get better conditions come spring. :smiley:

well.. its the first and last time this year I'm getting up at 4am to image it! I'll wait for opposition and more sociable hours now I think. And though the conditions should be better the elevation still won't be up to much. ....flicks through brochures to Australia...

Archived