NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Auto Focuser

I'm considering the purchase of an auto focuser for my SW 200PDS. I don't need it for AP and I'm not going to connect to a pc or anything like that, its simply for hands off, vibration reduced focusing. Does anyone have any recommendations??....I was thinking of this one, anyone any experiance of it??

Thanks guys

Yeah, I've read you can't manually focus and that is pretty much the only thing stopping me getting one.

One I use my Barlow I've got to have the drawer tube pretty much racked out all the way compared to without where its pretty much all the way in.

Does it actually lock or can you turn it just slowly?

I have just fitted it to my dob, great bit of kit, dead easy to fit despite the awful instructions, the motor is just fast enough at high speed but it does take a little while to go from fully in to fully out, but how often do you do that, for vibration free focusing its perfect.

only downside is the battery compartment is too small for the battery, I've had to bodge it

it its a shame there is no clutch to disengage it to allow manual focusing but you can loosen a tiny grub screw to allow it, but a bit fiddly in the dark.

The screw is one of those tiny little ones that you tighten with an Allen key, too fiddly a space for a thumb screw. Plus you have to rotate the motor so the screw is facing you.

the battery fits in the compartment but I then can't put the lid on it, it may be the make of battery I have, it may be a tiny bit bigger than others, a thicker casing maybe.

One thing that I discovered when fitting mine is how basic the focuser is, I've never dismantled one before, there really is nothing to them is there? You need to take the screws off the panel under the focuser, place the bracket over the panel then replace the screws with the longer ones provided, unfortunately I wasn't careful enough and the panel came off and the focuser fell apart, dead easy to put it all back, just very surprised how basic it is in there. Only thing I've not been able to do is replace the locking screw, it just won't go back in, but the motor locks the focuser solid so its not really needed.

I have fitted one on my 130P for use with webcam and it has made a big difference. Yes, it takes a while to move in and out but this is offset by letting you focus faster as there is virtually no vibration. Using the webcam with a barlow the target often moved so much it needed realigning but this is now a thing of the past. It would be good to be able to disengage but for the price and efficiency I would say it is a winner.

Archived