NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

More stuff!

As the owner of a 200Dob - my 1st ever scope - I thought that would be the end of my spending - what a numpty! Since then I've added a telrad, x2 barlow, moon filter and a Cheshire collimator I've been too frightened to use, telling myself it doesn't need correcting just yet!

Anyway, there's still a bit left in the coffers which is burning a hole in my pocket. My targets are mainly planetary & DSOs' so I've more or less convinced myself to go for the following additional bits:

SW 32mm Panaview 2" eyepiece

SW 2" Olll filter

WO 6mm SPL 1.25mm eyepiece

Solar filter film

What I'd like to know is are these items going to stand me in good stead for the next few years?

It depends. if you carry on with astronomy you may find them useful. If however you decide to take up football a pair of boots may be more useful. :smiley: Seriously though filters and eyepieces are difficult things to give advice on as they are such a subjective thing. all of those things look pretty useful.

Hi Ramster, I think nearly all those are good choices for the 200P, the PanaView can be a bit soft at the edges at f/5 but still a great eyepiece to view through, amazing in fact. I would skip the Baader solar film as I wouldn't use an 8" scope to view the sun, better done with a smaller refractor or dedicated PST in my opinion. You might want to consider a UHC filter as well, but the OIII is a great choice too. I use my 32mm PanaView to view the sun in white light on my C100ED-R, in combination with colour filters, in this respect the PanaView is very flexible and to be honest, my most used ep.

Yep , I'd go with UHC.

I rarely use a 35mm as light pollution bleaches the view. A 25 mm BST is far more useful. Most deep sky stuff can be found using that and the Pocket Sky Atlas.

I think 6mm would be pushing the limits in the Dob. I use a flat field 8 mm to get x150 views of Jupiter and the Moon. but subject to seeing conditions. I'd go with a 12 mm BST to give x100 on galaxies and planetary nebulae.

Sorry, but don't like mixing big mirrors with the Sun. Best get a cheap small refractor and cobble up a solar filter and keep that for that use. I use a 90 mm at x40 mainly for the Sun,

Nick.

As far as the solar film is concerned, one suggestion I've seen is to fit some around one of the screwable caps on the main tube cover. Would this be an option - at this stage I hadn't thought of another scope to be honest?

It seems like a dilemma for all of us here...it’s always ‘’this is the last thing I’ll ever buy’’, but end up with more and more...addiction you can call it.

If I go for one thing in your list, it’d be the 6mm EP.

Am I missing anything here, you’re saying you’re mainly interested in Planetary and DSOs viewing. Are there any other realms I’m not aware of?!! :)

It seems like a dilemma for all of us here...it’s always ‘’this is the last thing I’ll ever buy’’, but end up with more and more...addiction you can call it.

Totally agree, just took delivery of a Hyperion Barlow intending it to be the last item for a while and then last night I added three items to my wish list at FLO!!! Just itching to transfer them to "my basket"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the Hyperion zoom Barlow which is specifically designed for the 8-24 zoom clickstop. I'm a big fan of this zoom so the choice was obvious, not had chance to try it out yet though, it only arrived yesterday

It's the Hyperion zoom Barlow which is specifically designed for the 8-24 zoom clickstop. I'm a big fan of this zoom so the choice was obvious, not had chance to try it out yet though, it only arrived yesterday

Seems like a luxurious item, mate. Let us know about its performance. Hopefully there will be clear skies by the end of this week :) Best of luck!

Archived