NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon EOS 1100D, any good? Advice please.

emadmoussa

Hola,

I posted this question with other questions before, but no answer...apologies for the babbling - so this time let me be straightforward.

I have access to a Canon EOS 50D, but unfortunately I can't use it extensively for telephotography as it's not mine. So I was thinking about getting a Canon EOS 1100D - body only. You can find it brand new on Ebay for under £250. And, I'm not considering modding it, so, is it any good for Planetary and DSO astrophotography?

Oh, one more thing, with this cam, can I use the live view on my laptop, say, using a software like PHD or EOSBackyard?

I appreciate your advice.

IM

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1100d is very good. For planetry, not so suitable but DSO for sure. If you use APT software then you can use liveview and the focus aid that is in the program. I dont get on with live view, prefer to take a short sub to focus Very nice camera.

The 1100d is best for DSO, all DSLRs are best suited to Deep sky. Planets need a whole different rig,

For the money, there isnt a better option for the money than the 1100d.

Backyard and APT will give you camera control, PHD will be needed when, not if (!) you start guiding

Be aware though that the clip filters only work with EF lenses, not EF-S, to the best of my knowledge.

Because I use my stock 18-55mm EF-S lens for imaging sometimes, I bought a 2" LP filter and a step-down ring to fit it to the other end of the lens. In some respects the clip-filter is a neater solution, but either way you have to make compromises.

James

If you do get a DSLR then maybe look out for a CLS clip filter if you suffer any light pollution, it made a massive difference to my photos

Very helpful to know, thanks. One question though...1000D vs 1100D, what's the difference? Sorry, I'm kind of newbie when it comes astrophography.

Well, my area is not very light polluted. I guess I can get away without a filter. Plus, why is this filter incredibly pricy? Can almost get another cam for the same price :)

I live within a couple of miles of Exmoor and the nearest streetlight is probably more than two miles away, but I still get LP issues from time to time. By all means try without one, but you could well find as you go for longer exposures that even the smallest amount of pollution that's apparent visually becames a significant issue photographically.

James

I live within a couple of miles of Exmoor and the nearest streetlight is probably more than two miles away, but I still get LP issues from time to time. By all means try without one, but you could well find as you go for longer exposures that even the smallest amount of pollution that's apparent visually becames a significant issue photographically.

James

Mmm..sounds about right. Like you say, I can always get a SW LP filter. Yet, I find it difficult to accept paying more than £100 just for a piece of glass ;) I mean CLS clip filter.

One question though...1000D vs 1100D, what's the difference?

The major noteable differences are in the DIGIC chip version. The 1000d is v3, the 1100d is v4 - which gives a deeper well depth at ISO800, and therefore has a better dynamic range. The 1100d also has a slightly higher pixel count.

Silly question here, say you're controlling the camera through your computer ..taking images and video...files are saved on the camera STD or you can change the settings to save on the computer directly? Also, do you actually see in the live view the final image result or after you've taken the picture or video?

When using EOS utills, the picture you have just taken and downloaded automatically to the pc is displayed in an image preview window which pops up after you first exposure. Youre better off saving to the computer so you can transfer the files to your processing machine without touching the camera. I often like to stack as I go along, just so I can see how things are working out.

If possible, leave your camera where it is (dont remove at end of session), that way any subsequent sessions do not require fresh flats. My 1000d hasnt been moved for 2 months (mostly due to cloud!), but any session ive had inbetween hasnt needed new flats.

When using EOS utills, the picture you have just taken and downloaded automatically to the pc is displayed in an image preview window which pops up after you first exposure. Youre better off saving to the computer so you can transfer the files to your processing machine without touching the camera. I often like to stack as I go along, just so I can see how things are working out.

If possible, leave your camera where it is (dont remove at end of session), that way any subsequent sessions do not require fresh flats. My 1000d hasnt been moved for 2 months (mostly due to cloud!), but any session ive had inbetween hasnt needed new flats.

Pretty useful tips indeed - thanks! I was thinking about keeping the camera attached, but is there a way to keep it there and also do visual observing??

Pretty useful tips indeed - thanks! I was thinking about keeping the camera attached, but is there a way to keep it there and also do visual observing??

Unfortunately not, it might be a case of getting a spare scope for visual (Ive looked through my imaging scopes only 1 or 2 times in a year!). I used to use an ST80 on a camera tripod while the main rig was busy, still plenty to see in one of those little things. Now I have a pair of bins, so I tend to use those for a quick peek before nipping back indoors to a comfy armchair :)

Unfortunately not, it might be a case of getting a spare scope for visual (Ive looked through my imaging scopes only 1 or 2 times in a year!). I used to use an ST80 on a camera tripod while the main rig was busy, still plenty to see in one of those little things. Now I have a pair of bins, so I tend to use those for a quick peek before nipping back indoors to a comfy armchair :)

In fact, I've got an ST80 and a pair of bins and I do that. You can still see objects on your computer screen, can't you? Sorry, I'm such a question shooter... :)

In fact, I've got an ST80 and a pair of bins and I do that. You can still see objects on your computer screen, can't you? Sorry, I'm such a question shooter... :)

In APT you see it all, you get the liveview on screen and you get the image after its been taken and you can zoom in on it to see the extent of your sausagin..g. You get to store the data on PC or cam, or both. It really is a top program

Hola,

I posted this question with other questions before, but no answer...apologies for the babbling - so this time let me be straightforward.

I have access to a Canon EOS 50D, but unfortunately I can't use it extensively for telephotography as it's not mine. So I was thinking about getting a Canon EOS 1100D - body only. You can find it brand new on Ebay for under £250. And, I'm not considering modding it, so, is it any good for Planetary and DSO astrophotography?

Oh, one more thing, with this cam, can I use the live view on my laptop, say, using a software like PHD or EOSBackyard?

I appreciate your advice.

IM

I think that when byeos is swtched on it turns ur liveview off. The image you'll get on byeos will be much easier to see/focus & frame than liveview anyway :grin:

Steve

Archived