new dob 200p

thanks to peoples recommendations and reading reviews im now the very proud owner of a new skywatcher skyliner 200p and its been cloudy, raining or snowing ever since, one question i need to ask please, her indoors has told me i can keep it in the dining room, good eh, so that means i can store it on its mount, is it safe to move the whole setup outdoors in one piece without damaging anything or is it better to seperate it, 2 people would be lifting it.. thanks..

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As per others, majority of the time I carry mine in one piece. However if it makes your life easier to split the mount and scope, do so. It's not worth knocking it around and stumbling for the sake of saving an extra trip.

Regards,

m12

Addd a lazy susan to the mount (£17 on Amazon) Took 10 mins to fit. Great improvement on dobsonian mount

Also rec a Telrad much better than suppled finderscope

200p is a great scope really enjoy using it

Find it easier to use than my 130slt

I've just bought the Telrad and its a big improvement on the finderscope - lot easier on my bad back as well. One thing though - consider whether you need the extension piece which raises it away from the tube - might make viewing even easier

A lazy susan helps the dob base rotate more smoothly.

Interesting. I'm not sure how much more freely I'd want mine to move. With a coat and bodywarmer and fleece and various underlayers I'm more than capable of inadvertently moving it as I switch from Telrad to finder to EP.

Maybe in those heady spring / suimmer evenings where I've managed to shed a few layers it might sound more attractive.

Are there many lazy susan fans out there?

Lee

Hi Lee

The item is no 42 under the heading lazy susan. It`s full description is lazy susan bearing 12inch 300mm heavy duty turntable bearing from web traders on lineline. It`s a metal heavy duty industrial bearing but less than 2cm in depth so it fits perfectly onto the mount base

The underpart of the bearing plate is screwed to the lower part of the mount .This allows you smooth control. You can then adjust the centre bolt to get the degree of friction hat suits you.

It allows to gently nudge the scope without sticking .It really is a very common modification to a200p

Good luck and clear skies

Interesting. I'm not sure how much more freely I'd want mine to move.

Some prefer it but I've not felt the need to fit a lazy susan to my dob base. All I've done is given the surfaces an occasional polish and that's worked for me.

Archived