NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

4mm Radian

Mr Fiery Jack

I reckon it would be useful for tight binary stars and the moon, Mars and possibly Saturn, when the seeing conditions are good. There will be times when it's too much power as well but it's nice to have an "11" (Spinal Tap !) for when things smile on you :smiley:

Totally agree with John. I've read reports of the ED100 being able to go above and beyond the normal 2x per mm of aperture as it is of good optical quality, you will just have to be aware that it will not get all that much use. With the Radian now discontinued, if you can get it now, I'd say you should go for it :). Should it not be something you want, because it is discontinued, selling it should hold no problems, especially because it's TeleVue.

HTH

Incidentally, I have my Vixen LV 2.5mm for when the seeing conditions allow, and the views are stunning, I just don't get to stare at the same sharpness for minutes, it just fades in and out as the seeing conditions change second by second.

I have a 4mm and use it mainly on my 4 1/2 inch, it gives about X200 which where I am is fine almost every night. It however may be a bit high for yourself on all but the targets pointed out by John. I would go for either the 5mm Radian which is excellent or the 4.5mm Delos which because of the price is even more excellent.

Alan.

I think some of above sentiments are spot on - but you would probably get more 'use' from a 5mm. I have a 4" slightly shorter tube and a 4mm vixen gives me x179. I had some great views of M13 with it - surprising detail for such a small aperture.

andrew

I think the sensible approach would be to buy something relatively cheap and see how I go before heading for the TeleVue shop. I also have more than a passing interest in 24mm Panoptic too. Thank you all for your replies BTW

Anyone you ask will tell you that the 24mm Panoptic is considered the gold standard bench mark against which other 1.25 ich mid / low power eps are measured. It apparently gives the widest possible FOV in a 1.25 inch barrel and is tack sharp to boot. I spent a long time hankering after one only to plump for the ES version. It may not be quite as good but I got it for around half the price of a Pan and so my choice was budget driven in the end.

In short ... You can not go wrong with the 24mm Panoptic :cool:

Crazyjedi,

If the ExSc 24mm is as good as the Meade 24mm, general belief being they are much the same. You have bought a very good eyepiece. I had the two at the same time ( Meade and Panoptic ) but never put them against each other and I don't really think it is the done thing to write a review from memory even though I could.

For you though, there is not much in it at F5.26, a little sharper at the very edges. At F 10 the only thing I can think of is the stars seemed a tiny bit tigher, more pin-[removed word] like. However the edges were sharp, same at F7. The only place where in my view it came unstuck was in my Vario Finder which is F4, it was soft at the sides but I don't think this piece of kit it up to much to be honest with you, I would blame the finder.

Alan.

your suggested approach is exactly what I used to do and usually I bought the tmb type planetaries or similar or even a cheap barlow to get the mag I thought I'd want and then go for the more expensive options. I don't buy many now but would always have confidence in Radians. they are really excellent - I'd agree with your scope the 4mm would be most useful on the moon and doubles.

the 24mm Panoptic is superb.

Crazyjedi,

If the ExSc 24mm is as good as the Meade 24mm, general belief being they are much the same. You have bought a very good eyepiece. I had the two at the same time ( Meade and Panoptic ) but never put them against each other and I don't really think it is the done thing to write a review from memory even though I could.

For you though, there is not much in it at F5.26, a little sharper at the very edges. At F 10 the only thing I can think of is the stars seemed a tiny bit tigher, more pin-[removed word] like. However the edges were sharp, same at F7. The only place where in my view it came unstuck was in my Vario Finder which is F4, it was soft at the sides but I don't think this piece of kit it up to much to be honest with you, I would blame the finder.

Alan.

Yeah I do think that the Meade and ES EP's are almost the same EP in different frocks. I do love my ES EP - the views through it look even better when I look at the receipt first. To be honest I am very impressed with it. As you say though, I wouldn't mate it with a sub f5 scope. It might not stand up quite so well and would fall over completely if stood next to a Panoptic :p

Archived