Back in the "dob mob" again .....

John

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little late here also but that setup is gorgeous John, congrats :smiley:

Shanes mount looks superb, I want one!

Thanks Damo :smiley:

I've posted a couple of short reports on it's performance on Jupiter and Sirius elsewhere on the forum. Very promising to say the least !

• 3 weeks later...

Be interested to hear your thoughts on that eyepiece John, as compared to your 20mm T5.

Sorry I missed your post here Steve. I'll be happy to post some thoughts when I've given them few runs out :smiley:

• 7 months later...

Hello!

Can you give a mount dimensions? what is altitude bearing diameter?

what is rockerbox weight and dimensions?

telescope bottom clearance from topbox and OTA's diameter? what iis construction of azimuth bearing? can we see a picture of bottom of rockerbox ( azimuth bearing )?

thank you...

making this sort of base is not standard unless you are using the same scope. e.g. OOUK tubes are a smaller diameter than SW tubes. you have to make the base to match your own scope

basically, the diameter of the alt bearing is such that it is as big as possible but is made to match the horizontal dimensions of the upright on the rocker box so it looks a uniform size from the side.

the rocker box is dimensioned to be square at the bottom and of dimensions that put the outside edge of the alt bearing flush with the outside edge of the rocker sides. the dimension of the square base is large enough to accommodate the tube plus two trunnion blocks plus two rings plus the rocker side thickness.

the height of the rocker box is designed again to match your preferred eyepiece height taking into account the balance point of the fully loaded OTA - what you put on makes a big sifference potentially to the height of the rocker as does your own height.

the bearing materials are standard 0.8mm laminate sheet with a slight stippled profile and then teflon pads, in a way designed by Kriege and Berry. I used their book The Dobsonian Telescope as a guide but as you can see it's not as easy as the dimensions are X or Y when making a bespoke unit.

very, very cool answer. i'd say, you must think about career in politics.

but besides this, can you give a dimensions, please?

I had this in my bookmarks, perhaps that will help you. There are plenty sites around besides if you do some searching. Something I would not mind attempting at some stage in the future perhaps, when my SW mount fall apart :smiley:

http://www.raycash.us/sfsidewalk/tenin.htm

Perhaps this will also help

http://www.diplomacy.edu/courses/Protocol  :tongue:

Thanks for fielding these questions on my behalf Shane  :smiley:

I think wisedraco has enough information to devise his / her own solution now as it all depends what tube you are making the mount for.

as I think most people know I am completely open to helping people but after giving a genuine reply which provided the logic of the required process to determine dimensions based on the tube used and then being accused of some kind of subterfuge I confess to being slightly miffed.

Archived