NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stargazing whilst driving.

Fordos Moon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do this but as others have said, only quick glances. I find headlights ruin the night vision anyway!

My 2 year old son does it too when I pick him up from nursery and points out the moon and Jupiter to me. It is a shame it gets light in the evenings soon.....

This reminds me very much of someone I heard about in the USA who used to play his mandolin whilst driving..... :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: Steering wheel between the knees and left hand out the window.

His excuse was that he lived in Arizona where the roads were very, very long and straight and no-one ever came in the opposite direction anyway. I sometimes wonder if he is still alive.......

Being a professional driver i tend to look up possible sightings before setting out for my night shift!

therefore i know what i am likely to see as i drive along, dim down the dash lights to cut the reflection off the wind screen, then rely on the wake up signal as you drift over the white line!

No only kidding when i take a brake i try to find a "dark sky lay bye" this is what got me interested in the hobby, amazing what you can see..... even quieter on the roads at night since the recession!

I sometimes manage a bit of stargazing while cycling.

I do several night-time bike rides each year - some are from Oxford back into London over the starry Chilterns, but most of them start at Hyde Park Corner at midnight on a friday night and we ride out to the seaside (Bognor, Brighton, Whitstable, Harwich, even Southwold once) and we often get superb skies, noctilucent clouds, meteors, watching the planets drift past overehead, even the ISS on occasion. My fellow cyclists seem to appreciate having things pointed out to them.

Even on my central London commute I've been known to keep an eye out for Iridium flares or to take diversions to places where I might spot an elusive Mercury. My one brief glimpse of Comet McNaught was from my route home - from half way across Waterloo Bridge there is a section of very low horizon over Horseguards, and there is was, in a clear patch of sky that was following the rainstorm that had just drenched me!

Not quite as bad as observing whilst driving, but i am in a wheelchair and whenever i am out and about at night and its not cloudy................i am always looking upwards at the night sky. This has lead to a couple of accidents in which i have been the only victim. Ive crashed into strret lamps a couple of times and i have wheeled myself over the edge of curbs and ended up face down on the road with the wheelchair ontop of me.

Its ok to laugh.................i did.

Not quite as bad as observing whilst driving, but i am in a wheelchair and whenever i am out and about at night and its not cloudy................i am always looking upwards at the night sky. This has lead to a couple of accidents in which i have been the only victim. Ive crashed into strret lamps a couple of times and i have wheeled myself over the edge of curbs and ended up face down on the road with the wheelchair ontop of me.

Its ok to laugh.................i did.

Your mammy know you out? :D

Jim

Archived