Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skyliner Flextube SynScan GOTO 250P or 300P?

Hi.

Just joined this forum and have been reading various posts with great interest!

I've had a little Tasco 4.5" reflector since my teens. I've decided it's time to take things a bit more seriously. After reading around this forum and talking to people at a recent star gazing event, I decided a Dobsonian will give me the best bang for buck and the Flextube's provide extra portability.

I'm hoping to view DSO's and planets. The telescope will live in a block built garden room and will mainly be taken to a patio area outside. I might also need to lug it about 12 metres to another patio area to avoid a tree obstruction. Very occasionaly I might also pack it up in the car for events or visits to relatives.

So, my big question here is about portability versus aperture. I've ruled out the 14" variant as the consensus is it's just too big. So that leaves the 12" vs the 10". If the 12" can be lugged single handledly the short patio distances then I'll go for that (I can always get help getting it in the car!), but if the 12" is also considered extremely unwieldy then the 10" is probably the way forward.

It's unlikely I'll upgrade again for a long while, so I want to ensure I choose the most suitable kit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The consensus of this forum is usually to get as much aperture as you...

A... Can afford

and B... Can comfortably move/use.

Hopefully someone who owns one will be along shortly to advise you on the latter.

If it helps, I just did a quick search of these to get an idea of the price, Modern Astronomy seem to sell the 300 at a very favourable £1099.

http://www.modernastronomy.com/telescopes_swDobs.htm

I highly recommend them.

The consensus of this forum is usually to get as much aperture as you...

A... Can afford

and B... Can comfortably move/use.

Hopefully someone who owns one will be along shortly to advise you on the latter.

If it helps, I just did a quick search of these to get an idea of the price, Modern Astronomy seem to sell the 300 at a very favourable £1099.

http://www.modernast...opes_swDobs.htm

I highly recommend them.

Hi.

Thanks for you reply!

I think the link is for the auto tracking variant rather than the full GOTO version? That would be an unbelievably good price for the SynScan! I undertand that the GOTO version has better servos and tracks better than the basic auto tracking one? There's was supposed to be a GOTO upgrade for the trackers, but it never materialised. In fact, I was told that Sky-Watcher have discontinued the auto trackers. The auto tracker was the initial version I was going for, but no one had them in stock for this reason.

Cheers.

you can even lug a 16" dob single handedly, if you take the scope tube off the base.Neither of the scopes from 10"-16" you will be able to comfortably lug around on your own specially in go-to versions as the motors will add additional 10kg of weight.the issue is not the weight but the size of the thing.The only way around this is to take the base out first,set it up and then put the scope tube on.Not a rocket science and only 1 bolt to screw.In your case if money is not the issue I would go for the bigger aperture,specially if you are not planning to upgrade for a long while.Again subject that you have a space to keep the scope as 10" or 250PX/Goto will not take really much space,where 12-14-16" will.I keep my 10" just besides my PC table in the corner of the room :D and again it is not the telescopes tube what takes up the space but the share size of the base what gets bigger and bigger.What ever telescope you choose will be great for visual observations

Good luck and clear skies.

you can even lug a 16" dob single handedly, if you take the scope tube off the base.Neither of the scopes from 10"-16" you will be able to comfortably lug around on your own specially in go-to versions as the motors will add additional 10kg of weight.the issue is not the weight but the size of the thing.The only way around this is to take the base out first,set it up and then put the scope tube on.Not a rocket science and only 1 bolt to screw.In your case if money is not the issue I would go for the bigger aperture,specially if you are not planning to upgrade for a long while.Again subject that you have a space to keep the scope as 10" or 250PX/Goto will not take really much space,where 12-14-16" will.I keep my 10" just besides my PC table in the corner of the room :D and again it is not the telescopes tube what takes up the space but the share size of the base what gets bigger and bigger.What ever telescope you choose will be great for visual observations

Good luck and clear skies.

Thanks for your advice. Unless someone tells me the 12" is back breaker or not much better performance than the 10", I think I'll go for it :)

Only one other question if I may. I've heard that the 12"+ Skyliners have stronger mirror mounts. Does anyone know if that is true?

Watching this thread with great interest. I am wondering exactly the same thing and don't know whether to pull the trigger on a 10" or a 12" - I can afford the 12" no problem and have nice Televue Ep's ready for it. I had a CPC1100 so am aware of how large big aperture scopes can be. I am a strong chap, can bench press 100kg no problem. It will be stored in my double garage so always cool and no cars in there. I need to move it about 20 yards to my back garden. I want it to be a scope that can be up and running in a few mins.

Appreciate feedback please?

Steve

EDIT: btw I am not interested in synscan.

I found the flextube 12 inch auto relatively easy to shift. If you are strong-ish and are lucky to have no back problems, it should be fine.

We have a GSO 10 inch manual, and I find that a breeze.

I can shift a 16 inch flextube goto on my own, though that one is close to my limit! (I am big but don't work out). The base on that one is over 50kg, which is too much for me to move in one piece on my own, but it breaks down into four flat parts in a minute that I can easily carry and get through doors etc.

Watching this thread with great interest. I am wondering exactly the same thing and don't know whether to pull the trigger on a 10" or a 12" - I can afford the 12" no problem and have nice Televue Ep's ready for it. I had a CPC1100 so am aware of how large big aperture scopes can be. I am a strong chap, can bench press 100kg no problem. It will be stored in my double garage so always cool and no cars in there. I need to move it about 20 yards to my back garden. I want it to be a scope that can be up and running in a few mins.

Appreciate feedback please?

Steve

EDIT: btw I am not interested in synscan.

if you are not interested in synscan,and considered that you have a perfect storage why not take the 16"? Your televue eps will highly appreciate your choice.yes the 16"will be a large scope but just think of the views you will have with it.i would seriously think about it :D

Hi there,

I would strongly recommend that you try a see a collection of these scopes in a shop or at night sky meet so that you get a real idea of how big they are. You can have all the measurements, specifications and pictures in front of you on a computer screen. But when you see them and lift them things click into place a lot easier.

Thanks for all the advice. What a great friendly forum!

I've seen the Meade 12" Light Bridge in the flesh. Obviously that is somewhat lighter as it has no motors, but the general dimensions were not too scary. Nearest shop to me is a couple of hours away, but I probably will give FLO a call and see if they can show me the 10" and 12".

Ohh and I have not heard any issues with the mirror mounts.my 10" keeps the collimating like a champ,despite I have to lug it in and out every session,have done 1 collimation since I have the scope and rechecked every time and its still perfect.

That's really good to know. The chap with the Meade Light Bridge I spoke to said he had to collimate that nearly every time he set it up.

I recently purchased the 10" Flextube. My thoughts on it are: Yes, you can move it when completely setup but it doesn't feel comfortable to me; however, the OTA comes off the stand so easily and quickly that you can carry the stand and OTA separately and they are each easily manageable.

Based on my ability to carry the 10" OTA easily I would guess that the 12" wouldn't be much more difficult.

For reference, I am of medium build, 50 years old and suffer from arthritis in my hands, feet and hips.

I recently purchased the 10" Flextube. My thoughts on it are: Yes, you can move it when completely setup but it doesn't feel comfortable to me; however, the OTA comes off the stand so easily and quickly that you can carry the stand and OTA separately and they are each easily manageable.

Based on my ability to carry the 10" OTA easily I would guess that the 12" wouldn't be much more difficult.

For reference, I am of medium build, 50 years old and suffer from arthritis in my hands, feet and hips.

Ignore that, I've just noticed you said GOTO and mine isn't a GOTO.

Apologies.

This is my problem also the choices seem mind boggling for a newbie...I saw dude with the tube mention 16inch instead of 12inch goto there and he is right...I keep thinking I am 100% certain on 12inch synscan then I think 16inch would blow me away...will I ever work this out

300P goto is a great scope, ideal weight for a 1 man setup.

+1

All well and good looking at a 16" and thinking that's the one. But may feel different if you know cloud is going to roll in in 90 mins time and you cannot be bothered with the hassle of getting the scope out if its a 16". The best scope is the one you'll use so they say. I think 12" will be OK for me at this moment in my Dob career (this will be first Dob [first Newt actually)) If I get a case of "the fever" I can review that later.

Now, next question: solid tube of flex? Could keep an eye for a solid tube one on ABS but they are like hen's teeth they are so rare to come up. Which goes to show how popular they are since 300p are rare on ABS in either form factor.

Steve

for 10" + dobs you will need as a safe minimum 1hr colling down as such the 90 min window will not work for either of the scopes.So i would rule this out.The main point in this is are you willing to lug the tube in and out or not.If you are,then there should not be any problems.All down to your personal attitude to your hobby. :D

As for flex or solid,well, i have not heard any issues with people having flex tube versions and skywatcher only do them in flex 12" and up,where meade does them in truss only,same Orion does them in truss.There are advantages and dis-advantages in both. Flex:quicker to assemble,where truss will take a margin longer,both will need shroud where solid rules both of assembling and shroud issue out.But, solid will take up more storage space,also if you are planning to travel with your scope,solid might have fitting in the car issue where truss or flex will be easier to fit in.As for performance,there is no difference is your tube solid,flex or truss.It is entirely up to you to decide what suits your bill best and better not to make rush purchases :) weight everything up,measure 7 times and cut only once.

The Seben Laser Collimator is good. £24 on Amazon. Has got lots of good reviews there.

Thanks mate - brilliant. You saved me a fortune! The ones in the astro shops can be £80 and above!

Is it worth getting a "2 inch centering adapter do you think?

Archived