Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

rain spots on SCT front lens, how do I remove?

Danny, when you wipe your corrector, use minimal pressure and wipe from the secondary out towards the edge. Don't wipe in circles.

Good luck with the clean. I must get round to cleaning mine - I've got horrible dew marks on it!

I'm curious, why not circles?

I'm curious, why not circles?

If there is a gain of sand trapped between your cloth or tissue and the lens, wiping in a line will leave one scratch. You may notice the scratch before the next wipe and would stop, scream in horror, but that lens would still be usable.

If you wipe in a circle, that gain of sand will continue to scratch you lens, leaving multiple scratches and that would be end of the lens

• 1 year later...

Although you wouldn't want to scratch your corrector regardless of the method used, a straight scratch could introduce a spider diffraction effect whereas a curved or circular scratch would just cause an unnoticeable scatter.  :smiley:

I would wipe in straight lines but also with a rolling action so that you lift any potential particles from the surface as you wipe. I think I read something similar to this the other day on another thread that was sourced from Televue's website.

Archived