Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt at imaging Jupiter.

Nice, you can see bands on Jupiter and the moons. Was that a single frame? If you take several frames and stack them it will reduce the noise and allow the detail to come a little better. Have a look at Registax, although I would play it safe and download the last version of Reg5 rather than the later Reg6.

Nice, you can see bands on Jupiter and the moons. Was that a single frame? If you take several frames and stack them it will reduce the noise and allow the detail to come a little better. Have a look at Registax, although I would play it safe and download the last version of Reg5 rather than the later Reg6.

Agree fully with this if it isn't a stacked image. I thought I had reach the limit of my kit until I stacked 500 frames from a movie clip and was surprised at just how much extra detail was resolved. It is nowhere near as good as the images posted on here but it is always good to push your kit to the limit.

LP should not be an issue for Jupiter.

Without Stacking:

8209817084_993b8afa5f_b.jpg

Jupiter and Galilean Moons by StuartJPP, on Flickr

With Stacking:

8311752812_c2eb2c6598_b.jpg

Xmas Jupiter with Great Red Spot + Io, Europa and Ganymede by StuartJPP, on Flickr

Try to get as many frames as you can at the quickest frame rate your can. I stack anywhere between 1500 to 3000 frames but always try for 10 fps or faster. Too long a capture and the features move, leading to blurring.

For the scope you have that is a very good image, much better than my first with a much bigger scope as well.

What settings are you guys using on your DSLRs?

I only shoot at ISO100 if I can help it. Shutter speeds are just guess work. 1/5 Sec seemed ok for the Jupiter

Try to get as many frames as you can at the quickest frame rate your can. I stack anywhere between 1500 to 3000 frames but always try for 10 fps or faster. Too long a capture and the features move, leading to blurring.

For the scope you have that is a very good image, much better than my first with a much bigger scope as well.

Cheers! I'll need the webcam if i'm to use that many frames!!

I was using Backyard EOS in planetary movie record mode. This records movies at approximately 1000x700 depending on camera model.

That assumes a Canon SLR, not sure for Nikon or others.

Hi StuartJPP,

Does Backyard EOS enable you to convert your DSLR frames to .avi for stacking in Registax? Interested to know as I mainly image Jupiter using a webcam but I'd like to give it a go using my Canon DSLR if it's possible to stack the frames afterwards.

Al

I was using Backyard EOS in planetary movie record mode. This records movies at approximately 1000x700 depending on camera model.

That assumes a Canon SLR, not sure for Nikon or others.

Stuart how do you acquire Backyard EOS is it something I need to purchase and/or download? Am thinking has to be worth a shot(!) with my 1100d?

Stuart how do you acquire Backyard EOS is it something I need to purchase and/or download? Am thinking has to be worth a shot(!) with my 1100d?

I purchased Backyard EOS the other day and really like it. PIPP & Registax handled the avi's I took of Jupiter no problem. Below is the link, you can download a free 30 day trial or purchase a licence. I just went ahead and paid for it which cost about £20. Worth it though.

http://www.backyardeos.com/

Al

Archived