NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ITS ARRIVED....!!!!!

Caz

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you will have by around mid Jan :clouds2:

One other little tip - this is not a tip for it's use but for storage. Don't be tempted to store the mount with the counter weights attached but the scope not (or vice versa). This puts unwelcome stress onto the mount and should avoided.

Obviously there is no hurry when assembling / unassembling the setup to take both sides of at the same time or anything like that. Just don't leave it stored for any length of time like it.

Ant

WH, have you found your jaw yet?  I was contemplating a dob, but the size put me off, but this scope is doing a pretty fine impression of size, I'm still coming to terms with that.... :clouds2:

All I need now are clear skies.....pleeeeeeease

My jaw had come to rest under the table in a nest of my kid's gum wrappers and old bills. Isn't this the same tube as the Dob?

I keep my scope in a shed. I take it out usually a couple of hours after sunset, so cool-down is never an issue for me. Some people make a sort of trolley to move their scopes in and out of a shed, fully assembled, and others have a shed that can roll away or fold away.

I'll ask the Big Guy for some clear skies for you, but I'm only a subdeacon, so I don't have a lot of pull.

Make sure the cable is tight. Try turning the cable each way, but don't force it, and don't keep turning and turning if it's not moving (That's how my RA adjustment got damaged.) Check to make sure there is nothing interfering with the travel of the scope. Check the instructions, and see if there is a service desk you can call for problems. If there is, it would be just as well to call it.

OK, I just went and looked at the picture of the mount at one of our local dealers. You don't have slow motion cables, just knobs. Doesn't matter. I am pretty sure that the RA and declination controls are not at the base of the mount, but are the largish knobs just under the place where the scope attaches to the mount, and on the side of the scope that is facing you in the picture, about halfway down, on the side of the polar axis. There should be a locking knob for each axis, and a slowmotion control. The picture I have shows a toggle that appears to be a locking knob for the azimuth.

I wish I had your problems just now...

Don't force anything. You'll be OK.

No cable came with the scope, and theres no description of it in the list of accessories.

WH means the 'Slo Mo' cables (Skywatcher call them Flexible-Control-Cables).  Whatever they are called, they are very useful so if you haven't got them, ask the supplier for a pair.  

Theres just 2 adjustment knobs at the base of the mount which when I came to turn them they were both pretty loose.

They are probably the Azimuth-adjustment-knobs (unless they are T-bolts?); loosen them if the mount does not sit securely on the tripod, then re-tighten them to secure.  

Steve

My mistake, I was thinking declination and saying azimuth. Steve is right. You usually just push the scope into position, and lock it with a screw, once you are polar aligned. Sorry. :colors:

You know, there isn't a good emoticon for embarrassed, here...

Caz, once you cut through the chaff above..... :clouds2:

If you take the mount off the tripod, you will see a location pin sticking up. There is a corresponding hole in the mount base into which this sits. The two knobs on the mount you refer too tighten against this pin to adjust the azimuth. Once they are tight, you then loosen one side to turn the other.

They are used to polar align the scope - for now, just get the mount in line with the 'N' on the tripod leg and then point that North. Set the Alt to between 51 and 52 degrees (the same applies here, loosen one to tighten another) and you'll be good to go.

Polar alignment is a thread in itself.......

Archived