Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 350d

sammy1075

Hi All

will my canon 350d be suitable for AP? its completley standard so would it need to be modified or if it can be modified will it perfom better with some mods?

Im hoping to be using it on a SW ED80 DS pro & HEQ5 Pro mount, ive read i will be better with a focal reducer, is there anything else i would need to get me up and running?

thanks Sam

Hi Sam

Your 350d will perform very well without modification but it will also benefit from a mod too. If you use it for objects that aren't rich in h alpha emissions (stars, galaxies, reflection nebulae, clusters, comets etc) you will get cracking results. If you want to image emission nebulae then you can do it but a mod will get you better results quicker.

All you really need is a camera to t mount and some patience. Everything else just makes life easier.

Regards

Rob

I have two 350D's thats how much I like them, I use my modded one for Astro and the standard for daytime use.

Here is the Rosette Nebula taken with my modded 350D and 150p reflector unguided and just 40x 70 second sub exposures ISO 1600, just to give you the idea:)

post-16129-0-14197300-1359118151_thumb.p

I've modded an old 300D using the guide by Gary Honis. There is a little bit of soldering and its fiddly in places but if you take your time and are methodical then you should be fine.

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod.html

The 350D should be very similar to the 300 to mod but there might be dedicated 350D instructions, I know SLG member Quatermass did the mod to his 350D and I think he did a thread on it, you might want to have a search for a his 350D modding thread if its still about?

hth

Chris

To mod the 350d I used this tutorial http://www.google.co....41524429,d.d2k

I just went with filter removal. Took about an hour whereas it should of taken approx 30mins. It took me longer as I dropped one of the final screws into the body and had to take everything back out to retrieve it.

Very easy and simple. The hardest part is using a cocktail stick to poke the ribbon cables back into their connectors.

Archived