NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Clouds, !!!!?

t0ny

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was program that covered our weather last week, turns out we are at the junction of 2 weather cells, one North the other South, and we have occasionally the jet stream over us. You start to realise that the chance of settled and clear weather is pretty small. I think it was mentioned that we are at what is possibly the worst point for anything consistant.

Wish I could recall the program, may have been the one about our trip around the sun, it kept on about the coriolis force, which was what caused the climate cells or something similar.

Basically we don't have a chance.

Here's a picture:

Wiki

Seems the Polar Cell and the Mid Latitude Cell interact at about 50 North, guess where we are ?

I see you are in Norwich, when the Easterly's come over in Feb/Mar it should clear the skies, be too cold to go out and observe but might be clear.

There was program that covered our weather last week, turns out we are at the junction of 2 weather cells, one North the other South, and we have occasionally the jet stream over us. You start to realise that the chance of settled and clear weather is pretty small. I think it was mentioned that we are at what is possibly the worst point for anything consistant.

Wish I could recall the program, may have been the one about our trip around the sun, it kept on about the coriolis force, which was what caused the climate cells or something similar.

Could have been "Orbit"? I think they're repeating that at the moment. Presented by Helen Czerski and some generic female presenter type. Kate Humble, perhaps?

James

I raced home, hauled the scope out and gave it a (very) brief christening out there. All very hurried but got some terrific views of Jupiter and the moon - could pretty much count the rocks on that!

All a bit frantic to report anything, but enough to get me excited for some nice weather... and probably frustrated by the lack of it!

James, think it was Orbit, couldn't see why so much about weather cells as it doesn't matter which part of the orbit we are in, the coriolis force is present all the time. Mind you for working out the reasons for the changeable weather we get dumped on it it was fairly useful.

We get weather from North, South, East and West and they appear to meet just about where we are and start arguing, then the Jet Stream comes along occasionally and causes more unsettled options.

So as I can't stargaze, even though my two new eps just arrived, are there any cool tv shows to watch/buy as I can't take this anymore!!!?

It's a shame you didn't get out, there were some clear skies (not for very long mind you) at about 17:30.

don't worry, it's the same here in Melbourne. You'd think that as I can't remember the last time it rained (got to be weeks) and as the sun shines all day, there'd be plenty of clear nights yes?! But no, I sit in work all day with the clear blue skies outside, go home and get the imaging equipment set up and every night without fail, the moment it goes dark, it immediately clouds over. I think it's due to the water vapour condensing as the temeperature drops. Saying that, it never clouds over when I'm sat inside watching the TV, nor when it's a full moon.

Well I did get a go for 15 mins before the clouds came back!!!

Was my first proper go on a telescope and I tried a webcam straight away! Managed to get three disjointed shots before the cloud came rolling in.

Was a good learning experience, but I need some real practice on the mount as I found it really hard to position!

First go on the webcam

Need to work out how to micro adjust the mount to have any hope of getting a full picture of the moon!

If you can get a T-adapter for your DSLR then it might be worth trying connecting that to a T2->1.25" adapter and possibly a barlow. A 2x barlow should give you a full disc image that would pretty much fill the DSLR sensor, I reckon.

James

I read some scary stuff that I don't understand about dslrs not focusing on my scope due to the focuser not moving enough or something? I would love to try it with a dSLR though, even my iPhone got some ok snaps from the eyepiece although it was very difficult!

With some newts the focuser won't go in far enough to allow the camera sensor to reach the focal plane. There are a couple of permanent fixes for that, one of which is to replace the focuser with a low-profile version and the other is to move the mirror up the tube a little. However, if you add a barlow in front of the camera it can have the effect of moving the focus position out far enough that the camera can then be brought to focus. I reckon if you go for more than a 2x barlow though you'll not be able to fit the image of the Moon on your DSLR sensor in one hit.

James

I'd have thought it has the potential to be better than the webcam version, certainly. Even more so if you take plenty of images and stack them. I use 1/1000th @ ISO400 for my lunar images, but that's with a 450D and 127 Mak. You may find that different settings suit your scope/camera combination better.

James

Archived