NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hello from liverpool

rob1

Hi Rob and welcome to SGL, if you are stuck for something to steady your bins before you get yourself a tripod, don`t let it stop your star gazing, wrap an old cloth or towel around a broom head and use it like a mono pod, you will be supprised how much it reduces the jelly wobbles, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob welcome to SGL from me too, download stellarium (its free), its one of the first things I did when I joined (about a week ago :laugh:) it might help you learn the skies a bit quicker, I'm a newbie too.

You will get some really good advice.

Steve

Hi Rob welcome to SGL from me too, download stellarium (its free), its one of the first things I did when I joined (about a week ago :laugh:) it might help you learn the skies a bit quicker, I'm a newbie too.

You will get some really good advice.

Steve

Hi Steve downloaded and installed it before after you and a few others advised me to. Spent the past hour on it, its brilliant. Any tips and tricks or advice to get the best out of it? Ive just been locating a couple of the major stars i already know and seeing whats around them, such a shame the weather wont let up at the moment so i can put it to practical use

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. From a tripod point of view, have you had a look at this one from Flo, I have no idea what your budget is but this one is popular here and for the money is pretty sturdy. On the binocular front, you might be interested in giving this site a look (it's author is a member here) as it gives you some ideas on the mounting of binos as well as other technical advice. In addition he lists each month a number of objects of interest which you might want to rehearse finding them on your newly downloaded Stellarium. Lastly the book, "Turn Left at Orion" is a great read for those starting out as it lists about 100 objects that can be found using binos and modest sized scopes, which are divided into the four seasons of the year and are easy to locate via the included maps and comprehensive written instructions. Make sure you get hold of the latest spiral bound version and although it is available in a digital format, most reviewers so far have argued that the detail on the maps etc is too small to read and that the 'book' version is the one to get. :smiley:

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Hi Rob,

Welcome to SGL, I've only just invested in some 10x50 bins myself and found them to be a bit of a revelation given that I bought my scope a couple of years ago. They make the sky so easy to navigate, I'm only using a argos tripod i had lying around and it does the business, enjoy

Sully

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. From a tripod point of view, have you had a look at this one from Flo, I have no idea what your budget is but this one is popular here and for the money is pretty sturdy. On the binocular front, you might be interested in giving this site a look (it's author is a member here) as it gives you some ideas on the mounting of binos as well as other technical advice. In addition he lists each month a number of objects of interest which you might want to rehearse finding them on your newly downloaded Stellarium. Lastly the book, "Turn Left at Orion" is a great read for those starting out as it lists about 100 objects that can be found using binos and modest sized scopes, which are divided into the four seasons of the year and are easy to locate via the included maps and comprehensive written instructions. Make sure you get hold of the latest spiral bound version and although it is available in a digital format, most reviewers so far have argued that the detail on the maps etc is too small to read and that the 'book' version is the one to get. :smiley:

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum

James

hi thanks for the advice i ended up getting that tripod from FLO along with the large mount seems to be the best one around for that price range, it was abit over my budget but went for it anyway hopefully it will last me along time :)

Well with tripods you do get what you pay for if you want the rigidity which binoculars demand. Like a lot of kit in astronomy, if you buy decent gear it will always hold its value well should you want resell it on to upgrade etc. I have to apologise about indicating a link to a binocular site but then not actually giving you the link - if anyone asks I shall blame it on the clouds. The website is called The Binocular Sky and you can find it here - promise! :grin: :grin:

Clear skies rob and look forward to reading about your observations.

James

Thanks James, seems like a great site just been reading the newsletter on it some great tips and observation pointers added it to my bookmark bar. The tripod seems very good quality for the money, it came today along with the large mount, set it all up in the living room seems very sturdy and strong cant wait for the skies to clear and get some long steady images for the first time lol

thanks again and clear skies for you down south

Rob

Archived