8" Skywatcher, Celestron or Meade?

I am not a complete beginner but I have only observed with binoculars and a 4" Newtonian, which has been enough to convince me that I need a bigger scope! I would really like to see more of the deep sky objects so a larger Newtonian would be the obvious choice but I reckon that an 8" scope is about the limit for my old bones so it has to be an 8" Newtonian. The only trouble is which one? There doesn't seem to be much between the 8" Skywatcher, Meade and Celestron Newtonians, on paper, but I suspect that some of you may know better.

I am only interested in visual observing, not really interested in taking photos - I just want to see as much as I can see, and show my grandson. I can find my way around the sky too so I won't bother with the added complication of a Goto system (isn't finding the target part of the fun?) although I suspect a few filters and extra eyepieces may be useful. I would be really grateful for any help. Thank you.

8" skywatcher skyliner dobsonian is probably your best bet, added bonus that they are used sitting down. Great scopes, portable in one piece or in two pieces. No over complicated mount, just point it at the sky and away you go.

Most people add a telrad finder to it and change the straight through optical finder to a right angle correct image finder.

Try the local astro club and look through them all. An 8-inch is a big investment for most and there is nothing better than some hands-on/eye-to-sky before you buy. I have an 8-inch astrograph Newt but I still get pangs for a shorter catadioptric...

But from what you say about "just looking aroud" and no photo's, a Dob would seem fine

N

Blimey! A full house for the Skywatcher 200 Dobsonian then! Thanks for all the comments. Must admit I am still tempted by an EQ mount to make tracking at high magnification easier for my grandson but I can’t just ignore such a resounding vote of confidence for the SW Dob. Thanks again.

I like the boat Damnut - an old Vertue?

Alright then, just to be different and as nobody else has spoken up (shame on you!), I'm going to root for the 8" Celestron, SCT or Newt, I don't care :D

I have a Celestron 8" SCT and really like it - it's small, light, portable, same 8" aperture as all of the above... (wait: someone will chime in about secondary obstruction :police: ) but to buy new they are more expensive. I'd love a big Dob, but a proper big one, but it'd have to be permanently mounted in an obsy, my days of lugging monsters around have gone :embarrassed:

Ultimately, depends on your ideal parameters :D

In my opinion an 8" SCT and an 8" newtonian are two totally different animals. The SCT is a 2000 mm focal length f/10 instrument with a narrow field of view and excellent for binaries, lunar craters, planets and the smaller DSO's. The long focal length is less demanding of eyepieces. The front corrector plate on an SCT is susceptible to dew and thus a dew shield is almost always recommended. The closed tube design requires a bit more time than others to reach thermal equilibrium. Celestron 8" SCT's have a reputation of having excellent optics. SCT's hold their collimation very well and unless jarred might never need it after initial set up.

The Skywatcher 8" newtonian is a 1000 mm focal length f/5 scope offering a much wider field of view and suitable for a wider variety of targets. It offers astounding views of large clusters and other large objects. It can be put to work on the smaller objects as well but becomes a bit more demanding of eyepieces. The open tube design of the newtonian allows it to cool down a bit faster but is more apt to get some gunk on the mirror if not careful. The mirrors of a newtonian might require to be collimated a bit more frequently.

These are of course only my opinions after using both an 8" newt and a 6" SCT for a number of years. Both are excellent instruments, but IMHO the small SCT is a more specialized scope than the medium newt. (8" is small for SCT and medium for newt - my own classification)

Thanks for the info, I had already discounted an SCT because of the smaller focal ratios but I quite liked the look of the Celestron Schmidt (?) Newtonians that they made a few years ago (with a large corrector lens at the end of the tube) partly because the corrector lens promised better optical performance but also because it would protect the mirror, but sadly that option seems to have been discontinued. I also agree that an enormous light bucket would be ideal but only if I could have it permanently set up in an observatory (which may yet happen one day). For now I think an 8 inch scope is about the maximum my arthritic old arms could sensibly carry up and down the garden. If I went for something larger I suspect it wouldn't get used so much. Thanks for all your help chaps.

Hi Water rat - welcome to the SGL - Sorry mate - I'm with the Dunkster. I've owned a load of different scopes over the years and the SCT has become a firm friend of mine - not sure where your going to observe from but here, the light pollution is quite bad - OK the SCT'S are a little restricted on the field of view side of things (1 degree or so) - but with light pollution to deal with the vast majority of the larger objects to be seen are far from eye catching - not because of the lower contrast the SCT will offer - but the fact that in light polluted areas your looking at a far brighter background sky - which in itself - immediately lowers the contrast between Galaxy/Planetary/Diffuse nebula - which, I think, takes the whole lower contrast of the SCT against a Newt/Dob out of the equation - so your left with a very capable 8" short tube long focal length scope that is very easy to handle on and off your choice of mount and which is very good on the planets and for me the 8" SCT is an ideal scope - you can go with a larger SCT - but then as I have found - dew becomes a major factor as your dealing with a corrector plate with a larger surface area.

I think the ideal scope would probably be a large refractor under pitch black skies - but here in the West Midlands - as far away from black skies as is possible I think.

Just another one of the SCT mob throwing in his two penneth - I think the Newt and Dob squad will be along ever so soon!!!!. Regards Paul.

Thanks Dunkster, looks great, slightly smaller than an 8" but still f5.3. I could have sworn the old Celestron version was called a Schmidt Newt but it was almost exactly the same as this SW Mak Newt. I shall be chatting with First Light on Monday, and then I shall have to be nice to her indoors for a while as it's going to cost a bit more than expected. Thanks again Dunkster.

Celestron did have a schmidt-newtonian quite a few years back called the Comet Catcher. I think it was a 5.5 inch F/3.6. Meade also did a range of 6", 8" and 10" schmidt-newts on the LXD75 mounts. Again these were fast scopes.

I've owned a 6" mak-newtonian by the Russian manufacturer Intes. A very fine scope and now owned by another SGL member :smiley:

I'm told the SW Mak Newtonian is really intended for astrophotography, not worth paying that much extra for simple visual use, so I went back to the SW Dobs and tripod mounted Newts, and the weight swung it for me. An 8" SW Dob weighs a LOT less than the tripod mounted version, and I'd have to carry all that extra weight up and down the garden every time I use it, so that's it ... the 8" Skyliner Dobsonian wins!

Before I came on here I had more or less discounted Dobs, in fact I would probably have purchased a heavyweight tripod mounted Newt by now if I hadn't visited this website but as I said before, I couldn't just ignore all your praise for the Dobs so thanks chaps, you've been really helpful.

I know I'll need to add a light pollution filter but has anyone got any suggestions for other filters or eyepieces?

The Skywatcher 200 dob is a best seller.

If you don't get on with it, you will be able to sell it in about 10 minutes. They are popular.

I have an SW200P F5 that I use with EQ mount. The views per ££ spent are great.

Optically is is very good. Holds collimation well.

Good focusser for the price.

Wide a wide eyepeice the light gather gives great views of cluster, etc.

When the sky will take the magnification I have been x285 looking at Mars with good results.

The supplied 25mm EP is generally good.

The 10mm EP some get on with. Others regard as a glass dust plug.

A better EP may well be one of your first purchases.

I realise the dob has won you over. But bear in mind with a newt on EQ mount, as the tube rotates to different areas of the sky, you might need to slacken the rings and rotate the tube. Not a problem suffered by the dob variety.

The Skyliner 200P Dob is a fine scope for visual use. Fantastic value for money too. At f/6, it is easier on the eyepieces than the f/5 EQ mounted Explorers as well.

I use an Ironing stool to sit on. I picked it up at a car boot sale for only £3.

I wouldn't be in too much hurry to get extra eyepieces and filters just yet. Eyepieces are an intensely personal choice, so what we like, might not be what you like. Have a go with the supplied kit for a while and you will have a better idea of what you need. The only things I would recommend from the outset (if you don't already have them) are a Cheshire eyepiece for collimation, a good star atlas (Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas is widely recommended) and a Telrad or Rigel QuikFinder illuminated finder. It is much easier to find objects if you know where the scope is pointing ;)

Archived