Very dodgy e.bay sale - beware !

John

It's the don't bid & email them first before bidding that has the alarm bells ringing. What's the betting they only accept moneygram? My mate was nearly scammed like this some years ago so I emailed the same seller & got the same moneygram email. Thanks for the heads up John but I'm guessing even though the account has 100% feedback it may have been hacked, it happens unfortunately.

Have to agree with John

I'd stay well away.

Obviously avoiding any form of ebay fees by not using the correct buy it now facility and free p&p.

If it stayed at 99p that's all ebay could base the sale on.

If you had to claim on a faulty product, ebay would wash their hands of it.

..........plus it's a frac and they're rubbish compared to a cat :grin:

Neil

The feedback is good but it is all for scarf's |T-shirts etc not for anything resembling a scope.

Which when the description says This is one item they had as a trade in from a longtime customer, it makes you wonder how many scarf's they bought that matches an Astro Physics scope.

The persons details say "Member since: Aug-23-09 in United States", elsewhere it is United Kingdom and only mentions UK second class mail as the shipping.

Do the US have an Astrofest ? So far never heard of one mentioned, NEEF and several others, and the one here doesn't have the option of doing any viewing, which they claim to have done. In the day and in Kensington isn't a great time or place to go observing. Really sounds as if whoever has thrown in Astrofest without actually knowing the details of the event.

Think there is thread similar on CN, two of these for sale one of which I think I read as being via a known dealer, the other one is somewhat like this and very dubious.

Looks like it is the same attempt as hi-lighted on CN.

It appeared when Hands On Optics had one for sale, someone on CN got that one.

The second one was easily identified as a scam and they just kept notifing ebay until it went, seems that whoever has decided to try the same here.

If you read the CN entry seems that the seller said he was in Texas, unfortunately exactly same place/town as one of the CNer's who then ask to see it, seller suddenly realised he was actually in London at that time and couldn't show the scope to them.

I emailed and he wants your full ebay name and the full name and postal address.

After you have done this then....

You will get an ebay invoice (payment and shipping instructions).Item will be removed from ebay.Your reply will be very apreciated !

Sounds like not only a scam for your money but for your ebay account too.

Maybe I'm wrong but I followed up with a question if I can come and inspect it and possibly pay cash while there.

No response as yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon one and all,

while looking for photography equipment on Ebay i came across this seller. One of my other great passions is guitar (sorry) and they happened to have two very high end PRS models.

And guess what, a starting price of 99p until you read the ad where it states £1200 on receipt of you emailing them to supply your details. So i put these items in my Ebay watch list and the following day somehow they had been erased. So i backtracked my previous days search and found all this sellers items no longer had any images and the seller has gone away. Just to make this clear, these guitars retail at circa £6000 and they want £1200 !

Please be very wary, this is too good to be true and probably is.

Basiltherat.

Archived