NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another eyepiece thead

mert

You may have read me mention Dani, the Meade dealer in Sofia, he has been to the JOC plant about 21/2 years back. I did have the Meade 24mm SWA and the Panoptic at the same time and I tend to agree the Meade matched up fairly well but it was edges again that just spoilt it for me. I also agree witht the last statement I am a TV obsessive. I think it is an illness.

Alan.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see it is we know lots about the choices now, thanks to forums such as SGL. There is loads written about ES, Meade, Tele Vue and other options so "you pays your money and makes your choice" in a much more informed way.

Whether a particular performance characteristic is worth additional investment is a personal choice but at least we have quite a lot of independent information available to help us make such choices.

I think we should respect whatever choices people make and the fact that they will be enthusiastic about the choices they have made - thats only natural :smiley:

I love the views my Tele Vues and Pentaxs give but I've also had a lot fun with a cheap 8-24mm zoom recently that cost around the price of a Tele Vue dust cap ! - "go figure" as our American friends say :smiley:

Just to sidetrack a little, when I first started I only knew of two other astronomers near by to our house in Hull. I only got to find out where shops were by asking the likes of Sir Patrick , he put me on to Fullerscopes. Choice was very limiteded, Pentax was around and made about the best on the market, I believe Televue did not exist and scopes were more DIY.

Yes Dunkster, how the Internet has changed things. Yes this forum is good, but you can't have that without good members and there are some really great ones.

Alan.

Just to sidetrack a little, when I first started I only knew of two other astronomers near by to our house in Hull. I only got to find out where shops were by asking the likes of Sir Patrick , he put me on to Fullerscopes. Choice was very limiteded, Pentax was around and made about the best on the market, I believe Televue did not exist and scopes were more DIY.

Yes Dunkster, how the Internet has changed things. Yes this forum is good, but you can't have that without good members and there are some really great ones.

Alan.

I remember when I was young writing to the sky at night program and getting a response signed by Patrick himself with attached viewing guide for the month ahead. How cool is that? :cool:

Nostalgia eh?

Mert,

So am I correct to believe you have a 22 inch scope? That must be some piece of equipment. Would you care to fill me in with the details, with my skies here you would be able to get down to somewhere around the 17th magnitiude. My 12 inch LX would look like a finder beside it. I would have thought it was fairly fast so you will get the full use of the Televue being tested to F4.

Let us know what you think when you get a chance to observe with it.

Alan.

Mert,

So am I correct to believe you have a 22 inch scope? That must be some piece of equipment. Would you care to fill me in with the details, with my skies here you would be able to get down to somewhere around the 17th magnitiude. My 12 inch LX would look like a finder beside it. I would have thought it was fairly fast so you will get the full use of the Televue being tested to F4.

Let us know what you think when you get a chance to observe with it.

Alan.

Hi Alan

I got the 22" about 2 weeks ago, I was mulling over buying it for ages, I did a deal with my 12" lX90 so that helped, I wanted a big dob with goto, so it was ideal, when I set the scope up it looked massive, it's about 9ft or so at zenith, I'm getting used to it now, I've been getting my head around the Argo Navis goto system, it's easy to setup and works well, the scope moves quietly and fast, it was a bit scary seeing it whizzing around lol I expected it to crawl.

The weather here had been awful, clouds and now snow :cool: I had a chance to see Jupiter and M42 with passing clouds, Jupiter looked very big in a 12mm Nagler, M42 blew me away, I wasn't sure what to expect but they didn't disappoint, I think the scope is f/4.7 or 4.8.

I'm ordering the 24mm Panaoptic on Monday, hopefully I'll have a chance to use it before summer :)

Before I press the button on the 24mm Panoptic, I wonder if the 19mm would be a better buy? I have a 12mm Nagler, a 30mm UWA, so perhaps the 19mm would fit better into my collection.

Any thoughts welcome.

The 24mm is a stand out FL in the pa optic range and has become somewhat legendary! It will sit perfectly in your collection. I think if I was buying a lens in the ball park of the 19mm pa optic I would end up with the 20mm pentax XW. A stunning lens.

Before I press the button on the 24mm Panoptic, I wonder if the 19mm would be a better buy? I have a 12mm Nagler, a 30mm UWA, so perhaps the 19mm would fit better into my collection.

Any thoughts welcome.

The 19mm Panoptic is a lovely ep Mert, every bit as nice as the 24 and probably would be better graduation from your 30mm. I've owned both at the same time but found I rarely used the 24 once I acquired a 28 UWAN.

Not dissing the 24 Pan in any way, but given the EPs you have already and the FL of the scope (must be 2600+ mm?), you could save a few £££ and get the SW Nirvana in a 16mm? Or the 16mm Nagler even? (it's only a little more than the 24 Pan after all)

Maybe it's just me, but the Panoptic is piggy in the middle of the two ultra wides... :evil:

Mert,

Why don't you consider the Meade 24mm UWA. Telescope house sold me one a few months back, they made the mistake of telling me they had a good few of them and they didn't move so well. I have one, it is excellent, bear in mind this is comeing from a man with 18 Televue eyepieces. They sold me it for if I remember 190 pounds, thats less than a 24mm Panoptic by some way.

I am sure you could also get the EX SC version of the same which coming from the same Factory will be almost the same optically. These Meades are from when the UWA 5000 series was first made and are excellent quality, who knows they may even be better than ExSc as they come from before the company started.

Then buy a 16mm Nagler which is class glass.

Alan.

the 24mm Panoptic is superb and would be a great buy.....BUT.....having owned one and owning a large aperture scope I believe that the 26mm Nagler -offers a far more impressive view. in your position, I'd sell the 30mm,and buy a 26mm Nagler either used if you can find one, or new if you can stretch to one.

you might also consider selling your 12mm and swapping out for a 17mm T4.

all that said, I did once look through a 22" f5 in a light polluted are with a 31mm Nagler and it was incredible.

with any of these choices you cannot do badly, just differently.

The 24mm is a stand out FL in the pa optic range and has become somewhat legendary! It will sit perfectly in your collection. I think if I was buying a lens in the ball park of the 19mm pa optic I would end up with the 20mm pentax XW. A stunning lens.

Thanks, too many choices now lol :D

The 19mm Panoptic is a lovely ep Mert, every bit as nice as the 24 and probably would be better graduation from your 30mm. I've owned both at the same time but found I rarely used the 24 once I acquired a 28 UWAN.

Thanks for the reply, that's good advice.

Not dissing the 24 Pan in any way, but given the EPs you have already and the FL of the scope (must be 2600+ mm?), you could save a few £££ and get the SW Nirvana in a 16mm? Or the 16mm Nagler even? (it's only a little more than the 24 Pan after all)

Maybe it's just me, but the Panoptic is piggy in the middle of the two ultra wides... :evil:

I'll have a look at the Skywatchers, cheers

Mert,

Why don't you consider the Meade 24mm UWA. Telescope house sold me one a few months back, they made the mistake of telling me they had a good few of them and they didn't move so well. I have one, it is excellent, bear in mind this is comeing from a man with 18 Televue eyepieces. They sold me it for if I remember 190 pounds, thats less than a 24mm Panoptic by some way.

I am sure you could also get the EX SC version of the same which coming from the same Factory will be almost the same optically. These Meades are from when the UWA 5000 series was first made and are excellent quality, who knows they may even be better than ExSc as they come from before the company started.

Then buy a 16mm Nagler which is class glass.

Alan.

Cheers Alan, something to think about, pity I couldn't test them all lol, with your 18 TV's pop over to Scotland fora holiday :D

the 24mm Panoptic is superb and would be a great buy.....BUT.....having owned one and owning a large aperture scope I believe that the 26mm Nagler -offers a far more impressive view. in your position, I'd sell the 30mm,and buy a 26mm Nagler either used if you can find one, or new if you can stretch to one.

you might also consider selling your 12mm and swapping out for a 17mm T4.

all that said, I did once look through a 22" f5 in a light polluted are with a 31mm Nagler and it was incredible.

with any of these choices you cannot do badly, just differently.

Cheers Shane, I think I will sell my 8mm and 40mm Televue Plossl's to fund my next eyepiece, so manty choices.

That does look a good eyepiece also, thanks

I ordered a 20mm Explore Scientific 100 degree eyepiece direct from Explore Scientific USA on Monday evening, got a tracking number from FED EX, delivery Thursday.

Let us know what you think of your new lens (if the sky ever clears)

Archived