Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWire Telescope Control

Telrad

I use SkySafari plus wirelessly with the SkyFi module on my CPC 800 and love it. I particularly like the observing list feature which allows you to build up custom lists from the very extensive database of objects, and then use the wifi link to move to each target. There is also the ability to add observing notes to each object. Finally, there's a good amount of detailed information on each object. I also looked at the Celestron SkyQ alternative, but I have to say that, personally, I prefer SkySafari (no observing list feature in the Celestron version, as far as I could see).

Good review Michael,

I use Astro Devices Nexus to connect wirelessly to it, it's been a revelation finding objects. Being able to highlight objects in your observing list on the screen is a very useful feature.

This iPad holder is a great help in the dark, reduces the chance of dropping it. http://www.ipadgrabbit.com/

Richard

I use the skywire with my nexstar 8SE. I use both an iphone ( small screen but can attach to the telescope with sticky pads) or occassionally I bring out the ipad. A mini ipad is probably optimal! However I find the iphone fine as I always use the nexstar controller for movement of the scope as I prefer the tactile buttons. The Skywire always just 'works'. Connects every time and in fact has a cable attachment that is very long if i really needed it. I love sky safari and together with skywire I find the whole observing function to be transformed vs star charts and hand controller. Personally i see no need for the wifi version as the skywire is very convenient in terms of use and power. As others have said their yahoo group has lots of advice and worth a browse.

With me Billy I haven't got a controller. The IPAD/IPHONE and Sky Safari are the controller and data base. So the IOS device (andrioid) connects to the encoders, mine wirelessly via the nexus that converts the signals from the encoders, others with a cable, and then you use IOS device to guide the scope. So with my Dob as I move it around (manually) I can see where its pointing in the sky. If you've already got a goto mount you dont need it. However if you have a Dob or a non goto equatorial you can add the function to create an accurate finding system. So mine is just a push to set up. I dont have motors to drive the scope. I just move the scope by hand and that moves the curser on the IOS device which I line up with the object I'm looking for on the screen. I love it, it takes me literally seconds to find things.

Billy in my case it's mainly ease of use. More intuitive than scrolling through slow handset menus and looking at a star chart. I also like the field of view image that allows me to compare what i actually see in the eyepiece with what the starmap thinks i should see. Iused to prepare and printout such charts in advance. Now i just 'wing it'. This helps me spot those really faint fuzzies!

Thanks for your reasons.

i was tempted purely so I can operate the scope from indoors to show the kids.

keeps there mucky hands off my scope

That to me is a good enough reason :-}

in fact any reason would be good enough for me

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the SkyFi unit will connect to a Samsung galaxy tab 2 runing android jellybean and Skysafari plus?

I've just had a reply to this as follows:

"Yes, but...

Android doesn't allow ad hoc wireless network connections, so...

To get around this, I use a a T-Link Nano Wireless router in "router" mode (also known as infrastructure mode). It's USB powered, so I plug it in to the cell phone charger in my car when I'm at a remote site. Both my tablet and SkyFi connect to the Nano Wireless router and I'm in business.

The router is about the size of an iphone and costs about $20.00, which was less than the cheapest bluetooth serial adapter I checked out."

You might have had an answer elsewhere by now but if not hopefully this helps, :smiley:

I've just asked on the southern sky's forum, I'll let you know if I get an answer

For information I've also just been asked the following:

"Did you know that Nexus (unlike SkyFi) can be used with any WiFi enabled Android based tablet without problems (exactly the same way as with iOS based devices) as the current model is now acting as a WiFi access point?"

Archived