NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skyliner 200p - lack of outward focus travel??

Can I trouble you all with a quick question?

I was 'lucky' enough to get my hands on a 200p ota from WEX Photographic in their sale last year. It cost me the princely sum of £40 but it had no base. My thinking was that I'd get the ota and then spend a bit of time over last summer making a base from some plans I'd found via a post on these pages.

All went well in that the tube fits well and moves around nicely. I fitted a telrad and thought I was good to go. However since eventually spending some time with the scope, I'm unable to reach focus.

When I place an eyepiece in the focuser, despite racking the focuser all the way out, I'm still well out of focus, and the only way I can get to focus is to partly extract the ep from the focuser, and even then, it's not particularly great.

Is this a collimation issue? Everything that I've looked at would suggest not. I've got a Cheshire and everything seems to be lining up okay, but of course I could be doing it wrong.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Richard

Morning guys.

I have a 2" to 1.25" adaptor in place Mzungu. Will that make a difference?

Spikey - I'll take and post a photo when i get home tonight but i don't think it's a low profile focuser - it's the bog standard one that they come with.

Richard

Sorry Martin - I don't think I was particularly clear. I have an adaptor that allows 1.25" eyepieces to be used rather than 2" eyepieces. There is only one adaptor in place, and it is when I have an ep in the adaptor that I can't get enough outward travel on the focuser to achieve focus.

I hope that's clearer...!

you should have had a 2" adapter and a 1.25 adapter with the scope, it is a common mistake to have both fitted at the same time which will cause a problem with focus.

if you have only the 1.25 adapter in place and have this problem, you will need to contact the supplier I think

martin

Archived