Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Mount for Imaging (£5k-£6k Budget)

ribuck

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi per, but those limits quoted are usually based on visual. So hoping the 18kg wont overload it for imaging.

In a way i kind if wished that the mesu 200 with it's huge payload had dual encoders and was capable of unguided imaging. If they did that it would be an amazing combination, and i think they are missing a really good opportunity here.

I live the 10 micron / asa ddm 60 for their for their superb guiding abilities, just don't like their low payload capacity. Even the new EQ8 will have a payload of around 50kg

You can order the Mesu with encoders... Don't see the problem. If you contact Lucas en explain what you want he will arrange it for you. You can choose 320k Gurleys, 500k Gurleys, even Ranishaws (if you want to spend money) on the RA or both axis.

Also the ASA. Even with encoders the Mesu will cost less than the GM and can handle more weight... The reason I didn't buy the Mesu was because at that moment the Mesu was controlled with a Stellarcat and Argo Navis, I didn't like that. Nowadays it comes with a sitech controller, much better.

The payload IS 25Kg on the 10Micron.

My imaging kit weighs in at around 20Kg, and I need three of the 6kg counterweights for this.

One thing you will notice is that the mount is supremely sensitive to balance and weighting. With an EQ6 you can get away with being way off in any axis, but you will need to balance the 10Micron properly. I had to move the finder over and add some lead to one side of the OTA to compensate. The handset has a built in balancing utility.

On the Edge SCT's there are some fittings to help with mirror flop Per. Can't say I've noticed any tbh.

Jeff,

I've emailed Mesu about the encoders and we'll see what they come back with. Does their firmware already support the encoders ? The Mesu with encoders would lack the technical abilities of 10micron / Asa, with the encoders and the payload capability, it would make it a very future proof mount.

Out of interest, i suppose there nothing stopping someone developing their own control software to compensate for atmospheric refraction etc, if they had encoders on the Mesu 200. Possible ?

Thanks Nick, really appreciate the pics. My first question is what the heck are skywatcher thinking with that weird polar scope just sticking out in the middle of nowhere. The GM1000 looks a really nice and refined bit of kit, and it;s nice to also see a close up of the Mesu 200.

So what did you think of the mounts on show, were there any that stood out ?

I'm not impressed with the EQ8 and nor were a couple of others that commented on the polar scope etc too. The Avalon seems well put together in a CNC fashion. I've seen the Mesu at work at Olly P's place and in person here too - functional design that looks like a sack of spanners (although something that actually works!). The Micron is CNC sculpted, compact and understated - efficient is probably a better description.

As always - form and function are two things. Looking at form is one thing.. function is really what returns the final image.. to be honest I don't think I have enough experience to really compare.

I've emailed mesu to see if the mesh 200 can be factory fitted with renishaw encoders & sitech controller as it would make for a very potent mount with a huge payload.

I have no valid opinion too share but I have, as others have im sure, been reading this with good interest, and too see your mood change towards Mesu is nice.

My money is on you ending up with the mesu, it does seem as though you can talk to the guy and pretty much get him to build whatever you need. That seems to me to be very satisfactory customer service.

Well let's see what Luca comes back with, but I have a feeling that adding the encoders are going to make it too expensive. I've also read that the sitech controller can handle flex, mirror flop, PA, refraction etc, so just need to verify It.

Apparently the sitech software already has it's own plate solve and model software as well as it's own scripting util built in. I'm also led to believe it uses ascom6 and has been coded in with .net4 framework & c# 2010 so all current and easy to develop for.

The mesu is definitely becoming more appealing, so let's hope for some good news from Luca.

With all this mount discussion - the bank manager has just asked "how much is the one that you want" (ASA DDM60).. which seems reasonable when viewed in like company ;):D I don't think I'll get away with it just yet.. but I feel the tide is turning :D Not that I'd be tempted to offer to write a mac version of the control software..

Very wise. It took me 4 months to finally order my mount, I also did a lot of research. A lot of discussions. I believe this was my 'short' list:

- Gemini G53F

- Mesu (with the stellarcat controller, no SiTech at that time)

- CGE Pro

- 10 Micron GM 1000 HPS

- Astro-Physics Mach 1 GTO

- ASA DDM60

- Losmandy Titan

- Software Bisque MX

- Avalon

- EQ8

I finally had to choose between:

- 10 Micron GM 1000 HPS

- Astro-Physics Mach 1 GTO

- ASA DDM60