Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Mount for Imaging (£5k-£6k Budget)

ribuck

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this is the bit I need to seriously consider. Extra payload = extra complexity or lighter payload = simplicity

I really prefer to keep things simple but at the same time the huge payload means a more future proof mount. Can't really contemplate any of it until I get a response from Lucas at mesu.

Once configured (done by Mesu) you won't need these settings... In fact you'll be able to upgrade your system yourself; add better encoders, motors, etc. Simple impossible with an ASA or 10M. The normal use UI looks a lot like simpler, and you probably don't need any UI at all if you're going to control the mount via ASCOM (like CCDAutoPilot, CCD Commander or ACP).

I know from my own experience that it's quite difficult to get the right information. There aren't many users of these modern mounts. I think there won't be a big difference between these mounts (in terms of performance) and you will be happy with the one you're going to choose, but you can only spend your money once...

My point is the "detachedness" of systems like Argonavis, Sitech and the likes. Give me a mount with a hand controller and an ethernet connection. I don't want to have to use a serial port, I don't want separate boxes, I don't want any dependancy of ANY software in a computer for tracking. If I have to use an application to create my pointing and tracking model, fine, I have no problem with that. My hang-up comes when I want the scope to just work and it won't unless I have a PC handy with a couple of software packages running. From what I can see, there is ONE manufacturer that has gotten that right.

As for controlling servo motors and steppers, well, I have written software for doing just that and know how much research goes into finding the proper parameters for ramp up, ramp down, step widths and frequencies. Of course Mesu will know these parameters and can fill it into the Sitech and get it right. And some people would jump at the opportunity to fiddle with those parameters and would be very happy with that situation. I'm not one of them ;)

That's abit over the two cents' worth of information limit, but nonetheless, haha!

/per

Yes you're right.

I'm using my setup for photography only; there's always a PC nearby for controlling the CCD and focuser, so that isn't a problem for me. But I can imagine that some people see that as a disadvantage of the ASA mounts.

Yes and no. At least the 2000 and 4000 models have two alternativs for the mount electronics. One is an extension to the mount base and the other is a rectangular box. I have the base extension, which is also what I have seen in all images of the GM1000HPS. It looks like this:

BalconyMount-800.jpg

I just got a delivery notice for shipment during next week for the 1000! ;)

/per

I suppose no matter how you look at you will always need a computer to run your CCD for imaging, so I guess the PC issue is mute unless you are just doing visual, and if that was the case you probably wouldn't buy a expensive mount like the gm1000

I suppose no matter how you look at you will always need a computer to run your CCD for imaging, so I guess the PC issue is mute unless you are just doing visual, and if that was the case you probably wouldn't buy a expensive mount like the gm1000

Mounts become important for visual with large scopes.. your APO setup looks like a scud launcher which is the other worry :D

Hm4000 ?? Per I was saying that the load capacity of the mesu 200 is very appealing.

Anyway I had the following reply from Lucas asking about the encoders and I'm more confused than ever as i didn't realise that it had any at all.

.All you ask is already standard in the Mesu-200.

Every axis has one encoder on the motor and one direct on the axis.

Archived