Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Mount for Imaging (£5k-£6k Budget)

ribuck

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can click-edit your points in one of the maps, or you can edit a textile. Points are described as az and alt. There is also a terrain mask in the same like format. I an currently adding code for auto generation of points as well.

???? Sorry per, I dont understand what you mean. Your app seems to be using MaximDL for the plate-solve, so i was just asking if it uses the basic LE version that comes with MaximDL, or does it need the full purchased version of Pinpoint to be installed as well.

No, the Model maker uses MaximDL to shoot the images and Pinpoint to solve them. Pinpoint LE doesn't expose any programmability to the outside world. If you want any piece of software to be able to ask Pinpoint a favour, you need the full version. Maxim has exposed methods for solving directly on the loaded image, but if you check the help file you will find that it has one catch (snippet from help file):

Remarks

Uses PinPoint (full version only) to solve the image, determining the right ascension, declination, position angle and exact scale of the image. This method begins the solution and immediately returns control to the calling program. The caller then uses the PinPointStatus property to determine whether PinPoint is still running, has solved the image, or has failed to solve the image. Once a solution is complete, the CenterRA, CenterDec, PositionAngle and ImageScale properties may be used to read the image parameters determined by PinPoint.

So, Maxim itself can solve from the user interface, but if you want to script it or have a client ask for a solve it immediately requires the full version :(

/per

Ok, guess this is just my lack of understanding, as i used to use CCD Commander which connected to MaximDL to plate-solve and then Synced with EQASCOM and that just used Pinpoint LE configured with the GSC 1.1 catalog. I guess i just assumed your software would work in a similar way.

LoopHole ?

Hi Per it definitely works, if your interested download the fully work 30 day trail of ccd commander, and then just setup the Maxim DL with the GSC 1.1 and try it for yourself.

On my Heq5, I had ccd commander script setup, so that any time i knocked the mount or had to release the clutch for what ever reason, i used to run the script to create a new pointing model with Eqascom using approx 25 stars and it was a fairly quick process and seemed to work quite well.

I also used to plate solve & re-center in between filter changes during long image runs, (e.g. 20x 300s Red) --> (Plate Solve & center) --> (20x 300s Green) --> (Plate Solve & center) --> (20x 300s Blue) etc etc

Rich.

Yeah, I don't want anything to do with anyone who writes software that fiddles user interface thingies, that's for sure!

So, it's 5k for a mount, 4k for a Takahashi, 4k for a good CCD and then the whole thing stops at the final 199 bucks for Pinpoint. Shucks! ;)

/per

I'm using several software packages for automating and processing; if you add everything together there's a big amount of cash involved:

- Maxim DL or Nebulosity + PHD

- PixInsight

- Photoshop

- CCDAutopilot or CCD Commander or ACP

- PinPoint

- CCD Inspector

- The SkyX or another planetary program

- the list goes on....

Yes, I have the same situation. I'm adding a full version of ACP in a few weeks - another $2000...

Actually, when it comes to planetarium programs, I do not use them. I enter coordinates in CCD Autopilot or ACP and then the rest is automatic. I do use Stellarium for determining what is best positioned for the sessions ahead (or Cartes du Ciel). Always offline and not connected to anything.

/per

Archived