Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Mount for Imaging (£5k-£6k Budget)

ribuck

ACP is designed for remote imaging (e.g. controlling your setup that's on the other side of the world). It makes the setup completely autonomous and it does that very well, nu human intervention needed, just fill in the targets you want and let it run for the next 12 months. It's like CCD Commander or CCDAutoPilot on steroids :)

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It want's to be for that price. So is ACP just software or does it come with some hardware interfaces ?

Just curious, if it's software only what happens if it crashes, how do you recover ? or what happens if the remote PC or Linux box built into the mount crashes, then what ? I would want some electronics in place to allow you to remotely cut the power to the devices then power up again.

Interesting choice. If I had the money I would invest in a CCD with the New Sony chip as I found my kaf8300 electronics have head a fair bit of noise in them. Then again my CCD is a early gen QHY9 and nowhere near the same league as QSI ccd's which are amazing.

Ah, you mean the old 694! Very small chip means poor field of view.

I just shot a bias frame with the 683 at -27degC indoors (!) and it came out with a very even 249 ADU. That is a lot less than the ST-8300M that i also have.

I also have an SX M26C. It doesn't cool well and doesn't impress much, but it's a great camera for the Hyperstar system.

All in all, with the newer generations of read electronics, the 8300 stands out (still) as one of the best all-rounders out there!

/per

Sorry for the lack of update on mine, I have only had one imaging night and as it was clear and moon free I went for some short Luminance targets.

Per, I am getting the "Can't Park" message when I try and park the mount, do you happen to know the criteria that make this happen?

Thanks

oh btw Rich, if the mount gets knocked or blown off target, it will simply realign itself, even if you just slightly accidentally nudge it :)

Hi Per, i thought the latest sony chip was fairly new, as in the last 6 months. I agree with you on the FOV, as that's why i went with a QHY9 as that is all i could afford at the time. I can only dream of a QSI, as i think they have to be one of the best camera's out there. Just love how they combine everything into a single neat package, with the filter wheel/ oag etc. very nice indeed.

Tim looking forward to hear your feedback on the mount :smiley:

Yes, the 683wsg8 or whatever they call it seems great. I recently purchased the required Astrodon filters - phew, quite an expense - and am now ready for imaging with the 683. We'll see how good it actually is.

Next step, I think, may be the Moravian 16803... Not many reviews but could be good!

/per

Parked already is the one I can think of. Through handset or ASCOM?

/p

I'm only really using the handset at the moment.

I have some issues with my scope and another bit of equipment at the moment which I am determined to work through, but it is making the pointing model useless. When my new focuser arrives, and bobs knobs, i'll try again with the CT collimator.

Well, trying to make a model with ANY flex in your system is going to get ugly. I have found that SCTs are more or less impossible to use for model making. Even a totally insignifficant mirror flop will throw away the accuracy, even though the scope is fine for imaging once the model is done. I have an untried procedure figured out, though:

Make a model with the SCT. Yuo are going to get bad expected RMS, but it's the cone error that is the interesting part. Shim it down as close to zero as possible. Next, use another OTA to make a model and shim it to zero cone error.

Once you have all your OTAs showing the same cone error you can use the most stable one to build he final model and then change OTAs withou remodeling. All you need to do is align the model to one star and you're good to go - as long as the cone errors are close to zero.

/per

The only error that I think will affect the model is orthogonality. Everything else is corrected by slewing to ONE star and issuing a sync (not a refinement sync). That will move the model, and if there is a straight offset in either axis then it will be handled correctly.

Models can be saved in the mount and recalled if you want to change and have more at hand.

I don't know the max payload of the GM1000...

/per

Archived