Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Introduction

sixbytes

Hello SGL Community,

my name is Michael, 42, hobby astro photographer for around one year. Before i bought my equipment i did a lot of reading and studying fundamentals in many forums such as SGL.

I am doing mainly DSO photography and for now just with an unmodded Nikon DSLR. A real CCD cam and some filters are next on my wishlist.

As it is tradition to bring a present when arriving somewhere new i may show my latest try on the Orion Sword. Even if many people just can't see it anymore ;-)

Took this on friday, five hours at -4°C (24.8° F). Camera, scope, car and photographer was frozen all over but that helped with reducing the sensor noise. My equipment is a GSO 200/800 Newtonian on a Celestron CGEM. Autoguiding with PHD and a self-made 9x50 Guider plus antique Logitech Quickcam 3000 Pro attached. Subs: 20x15s, 20x30s, 20x60s, 20x120s, 31x300s. Stacked with fitswork and composed in Photoshop with layer mask technique. I hope you like it:

l89.png

Thank you very much :smiley:

@cloudbuster: yes, i thought about getting the cam modded but that is not as easy as with canon devices. Besides i am doing terrestrial night shots from time to time, cities, bright lights, cologne cathedral etc. so that i have to get a second camera body. Therefore i decided to save money for an Alccd6 pro, QHY, DMK or something similiar with active cooling. I hate sensor noise, even if the Nikon is low on that and some day the shutter stops working.

@Tom OD: Thanks! I am a little bit surprised by the outcome of that night, because i have issues with my mount. Can guide only if the scope lies on west and i am actually in contact with the dealer to get the mount fixed. Also i was so cold and frozen that i accidentially pushed the aligned mount and had to do a very quick re-align. I thought all the subs will be bad but in fact they were the best i ever made on orion. Maybe i will give it another try on the compositing to get some more Details in the core when weather is turning bad again and i have nothing to do.

Regards,

Michael

Archived